Call for Application: PhD Programme in Global and Transregional Studies
A three-year full-time English language doctoral programme. Deadline for applications: 31 January 2019.
News vom 05.12.2018
The Berlin Graduate School for Global and Transregional Studies (BGTS) is the full-time PhD programme of the Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script” (SCRIPTS) at Freie Universität Berlin in cooperation with Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, WZB Berlin Social Science Center, Hertie School of Governance and others. The BGTS builds on the successful programme of the Berlin Graduate School for Transnational Studies (BTS) that will be integrated into the new programme. The BGTS offers a rigorous and dynamic English-language PhD programme for exceptionally talented and motivated graduate students in the field of global and transregional studies, bringing together a broad spectrum of disciplines, from the social sciences to area studies to history.
The three-year English language doctoral programme at the BGTS provides state-of-the-art theory classes, solid training in research methods and research design, soft skills courses, and individual supervision. The programme focuses on contemporary controversies about liberal orders from a historical, global, and comparative perspective. It is particularly interested in global and transregional processes analysed by social science or historical methods. Research at the BGTS focuses on the structures, risks, and opportunities of cross-regional interaction at various levels. Find out more about SCRIPTS’s overall research concept here. Applicants should also familiarise themselves with the research interests of BGTS faculty members and indicate one or several potential supervisors in their application.
• Master’s degree, qualifying for PhD studies in the social sciences, history, economics, law, or area studies;
• proof of C1-level English language skills or the equivalent;
• most recent CV;
• letter of motivation (600 words maximum);
• research proposal (5,000 words maximum) with a timeline for your project;
• two letters of reference from professors at universities or research institution.
• Four PhD positions are funded by the Cluster of Excellence “Contestations of the Liberal Script” (SCRIPTS).
• Two scholarships for students with Chinese citizenship are funded by the Chinese Scholarship Council (CSC).
• Two scholarships in the field of International Security, especially empirical conflict studies, are provided by the Centre for International Security Policy at the Hertie School of Governance (further information).
• Two scholarships in the field of EU studies are provided by the Jacques Delors Institute at the Hertie School of Governance (further information).
• As there is only a limited number of PhD positions available, candidates who are not offered a scholarship can be admitted to the programme provided that they secure their own external funding. Therefore, we strongly encourage you to apply to other sponsors/foundations at the same time of your BGTS application. To support that process, we are happy to provide documentation if need be.Starting date of programme: 3 year full-time PhD programme starting September 2019 in Berlin
Deadline for submitting applications: 31 January 2019 (4 January 2019 for Chinese applicants)
For more information about the BTS/BGTS and the application procedure, please visit www.transnationalstudies.eu.