Call for applications for grants and places in BGSMCS doctoral programme
Deadline: 5 November, 2018, 12 noon CET
News vom 26.09.2018
The Berlin Graduate School Muslim Cultures and Societies will admit up to ten PhD students to its doctoral programme, which is to begin on 1 October 2019. The Graduate School is a joint project of Freie Universität Berlin, Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, and Leibniz-Zentrum Moderner Orient, which brings together scholars in the humanities, social sciences, and area studies.
The Graduate School investigates the plurality, changeability, and global connectedness of Muslim cultures and societies. Applications with a focus on strategies of negotiating diversity, difference, and distinction, both among Muslims and between Muslims and non-Muslims are especially encouraged. Successful applicants will have a master’s degree in one of the disciplines represented at the Graduate School (Arabic Studies, Central Asian Studies, History, History of Islamic Art, Human Geography, Islamic Studies, Political Science, Semitic Studies, Social and Cultural Anthropology, South and Southeast Asian Studies, Southeast European History), with a ranking, where applicable, of above average. Our language of instruction and communication is English.
The application needs to be submitted via the online application portal and includes the following information and documents:
- Outline of the dissertation project (up to 6 pages, with a brief summary, to be entered into the online application form)
- Curriculum vitae (pdf file);
- Certified copies of degrees received (pdf file);
- Proof of proficiency in English (native speakers of English or applicants who have graduated from an English-speaking university in a country with English as an official language are exempt from this verification) (pdf file);
- Evidence of proficiency in the language(s) relevant to the dissertation project (pdf file);
- Two letters of recommendation must be uploaded by the applicant’s referees directly to the application platform (signed and stamped on official paper).
Applications will be reviewed by the School’s Admissions and Grants Committee, and interviews will be scheduled in early February 2019.
The complete application package must be submitted by 5 November 2018, 12 noon Central European Winter Time through the online application form. The Admissions and Grants committee will not consider incomplete applications. For further information, please refer to our Guidelines for Application to the PhD Programme. Please send us an Email to email@example.com for help with your application. No legal entitlement shall be constituted by applying to the programme. Reasons for rejections will not be disclosed.