Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Before Departure

No insurance coverage is associated with the Errasmus+ mobility grant. Neither Freie Universität Berlin nor the European Commission nor the DAAD are liable for damages resulting from illness, death, accident, injury to persons, loss or damage to property in connection with Erasmus+ stays.

By accepting the grant, students undertake to ensure that they themselves have sufficient insurance cover (international health and liability insurance) for the duration of their stay abroad.

Health insurance
As in Germany, you must prove that you have health insurance that is recognized in the host country in order to enroll at your host university. With this proof, you can often, but not always, be exempted from the compulsory local health insurance. If necessary, you should take out additional international health insurance with repatriation in Germany, which, for example, covers the medical treatment costs in non-EEA countries with which Germany has not concluded a social security agreement and, if necessary, also finances your repatriation to Germany.

Accident insurance and liability insurance
For study stays and internships in countries with which Germany does not have a social security agreement, it may also make sense to take out additional accident insurance and liability insurance, especially if your host university does not insure you against accidents.

You can take out "group insurance" through the DAAD, which includes health insurance abroad as well as accident and personal liability insurance. You can find detailed information about this on the DAAD website.

Before taking out a new insurance policy, ask your current insurers about the scope of your insurance coverage during your planned stay abroad and seek independent advice if necessary.

No. Each university can decide this independently and there is no such regulation at the FU. 30 ECTS points per semester are considered EU guidelines. However, there may be certain requirements set by the partner university or by your department/institute. However, this has no influence on your mobility grant, which is paid out by the FU.

Erasmus+ students are not obliged to apply for a leave of absence. Nevertheless, it is often used, because the semester of leave is counted as a university semester, but not as a subject semester and therefore no study time is "lost". You can apply for the leave of absence at the student administration office, and you can obtain a corresponding proof of your study abroad from the Erasmus team.

You can find more information about the semester of leave here.

The Learning Agreement must be signed by the student, the Erasmus coordinator of your institute at Freie Universität and the coordinator at the partner university. Only when all these signatures are present and Table A and Table B are completed, the Learning Agreement is complete. In principle, students are responsible for obtaining the signatures themselves. The Erasmus+ International Credit Mobility team at the FU should receive a copy/scan of the Learning Agreement before the start of the study abroad program, if possible.

In order to be able to communicate in everyday life in your host country, we recommend that you acquire at least a basic knowledge of the language before you start your studies -- it is best to start in Berlin. The following options are available for this purpose:

  • Language Center of the FU: https://www.sprachenzentrum.fu-berlin.de/en/index.html
  • Language tandem of the International Club of the FU: http://www.internationalerclub.de/
  • Adult education centers: http://www.berlin.de/vhs/kurse/sprachen/
  • Language and Culture Exchange of the TU: http://www.skb.tu-berlin.de/

Many partner universities also offer language courses before the semester begins and/or courses to accompany the semester.

Starting your study program