SUPPORT for Instructors - Training for Mentoring and Tutoring
German Federal Ministry of Education and Research
Bund-Länder-Programm "Qualität in der Lehre" (Quality Pact for Teaching)
In the mentoring program at Freie Universität Berlin, experienced students (mentors) support a group of beginning students (mentees) through their first two semesters, helping them to plan their studies, network with one another, and develop study and work strategies. Mentors receive intensive preparation for this role through the mentoring training activities offered by the Career Service.
Topics include basic skills in teaching at the university level, methodological know-how, and communication and advising strategies. Mentors learn how to do the following:
- present content in an organized way and explain matters in an understandable manner,
- spark interest and motivate others,
- use methods and media productively,
- steer discussion processes efficiently, e.g., by asking good questions,
- deal with disruptions, issues, and blocks within the group and in the case of individuals, and
- plan mentoring sessions in terms of content and methodology.