German Skills for Studying and Applying at Freie Universität Berlin
German language skills on a high level are an essential precondition for studying.
Only if you participate in an exchange program, if you wish to enroll in a study program taught in English or if you have an appropriate approval from the doctoral committee in charge for your doctoral project, then you do not need German language skills.
For enrollment you have to prove German language skills by submitting one of the certificates listed below. The certificates must not be older than three years.
Enrollment in the Bachelor's degree program Deutsche Philologie (all course components) as well as in the Master’s degree program Deutschsprachige Literatur (both majors):
- TestDaF with level 5 in all four parts
- DSH 3
Enrollment in other degree programs:
- DSH 2
- Telc C 1-Hochschule
- C 2-Zertifikat des Goethe-Instituts
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom der Kultusministerkonferenz - Zweite Stufe (DSD II)
- Feststellungsprüfung des Studienkollegs (Assessment Exam of the Studienkolleg)
- TestDaF with at least level 4 in all four parts
If you cannot submit any of the above-mentioned certificates when applying, you will be invited to take the German Language Examination – DSH (Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang) at Freie Universität in case of admission. Detailed information about the DSH is available on the website of the Language Center of Freie Universität Berlin (in German only).
When applying for a degree program at Freie Universitaet Berlin you have to prove at least German proficiency at level C1 CEFR by submitting one of the following certificates:
- C1 CEFR certificate with grades
- TestDaF with at least level 4 in two parts and level 3 in two parts (f.e. 4/4/3/3)
- language evaluation test, which attests skills at level C1 CEFR
- DSH 1
Proof of German language skills must be uploaded to the uni-assist application portal by the application deadline.In general, we recommend that you obtain proof of the German language skills required for enrollment already in your home country.
For the Master's degree program Interdisciplinary Latin American Studies, proof of German language skills on the level B2 CEFR is required for application only.
German Skills for the Studienkolleg
In general, it is advisable to submit a proof of German language skills at level C1, as only the evaluation of the university entrance qualification (HZB) will determine whether you have to attend the Studienkolleg or can apply for a degree program directly.
However, if you are sure that you have not obtained a direct HZB with your certificate from your home country and you need to attend the Studienkolleg, German proficiency at level B2 is sufficient.
- TestDaF with at least level 3 in all four parts
- B2 CEFR certificate with grades from a language school
- language evaluation test, which attests skills at level B2 CEFR
- proof of attendance for C1 language course (ongoing or completed course)
Proof of German language skills must be uploaded to the uni-assist application portal by the application deadline.
The Language Center of Freie Universität Berlin offers pre-semester and summer classes at an advanced level. To prepare for the TestDaF or DSH German classes can be taken at the Goethe-Institut, at private language schools in Germany, or in the student's home country. The DAAD offers information about summer language courses in Germany.