The DAAD (Deutsche Akademische Austauschdienst) is an association of German universities and student bodies. It supports over 100 programs for students, graduates and academic staff from Germany planning a short-term study abroad.
The short-term and individual scholarships, group programs, study trips and stud placements are financed annually. Exchange programs and guest lecturers from foreign universities are supported as well by the DAAD. In order to make the process of finding a fitting scholarship more accessible for students, the DAAD has launched a new scholarship databank which can be found here.
In addition, FAQs about the scholarship documents can now be accessed via this link.
- Some regional application deadlines for standard programs have changed (ex. Australia). You will find the newest information in the scholarship database under the rubric "Application Procedure".
- Annual scholarships cannot be renewed (certain exceptional cases are exempted from this new regulation)
- Annual scholarships for graduates who complete a graduate degree abroad (24 months) may be extended regularly (which was not the case in the past).
- Doctoral candidates with research projects can no longer apply for the annual scholarship program for graduates. They are free to apply to the postdoctoral program.
- Proof of language profiency will be ensured by a new language testing form which will be offered at language centers of the partner universities. More information can be found here.
- Citizens of other countries are now allowed to apply for DAAD scholarships, provided that they are studying at a German university or are pursuing their doctorate and are coming to Germany during their PhD.
Application and Further Information:
Please apply directly at the DAAD. Please note that some applications must be submitted far in advance to the DAAD. All deadlines can be found in the scholarship database.
PO Box 20 04 04
Phone: +49 (0) 228 882-0
The department of International Student Mobility would be happy to answer any questions concerning the DAAD scholarships:
Student Mobility Unit
Student Service Center (SSC)
Tel: +49 (0) 30 838-73930
Fax: +49 (0) 30 838-73901
Tuesday 9:30 to 12:30 / 14:00 to 17:00
Thursday 9:30 am to 12:30 pm / 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm