Freie Universität Berlin suspends relations with Russian research institutions until further notice.
Establishing strategic partnerships with leading research universities worldwide is part of the internationalization strategy of Freie Universität Berlin. The objective of these alliances is to allow for comprehensive networking and collaboration on all university levels, i.e. regarding the sustained support of young researchers, the initiation and implementation of innovative research cooperation, the development and establishment of future-oriented teaching, and the structured exchange of researchers, students and staff.
When selecting strategic partners, Freie Universität Berlin takes into account the diversity and intensity of existing contacts as well as the potential for future cooperation. So far, Freie Universität Berlin has formalized six strategic partnerships based on a lively dialogue and exchange with members of the university. In 2011 and 2012, Freie Universität Berlin initiated three strategic partnerships with The Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Peking University, and Saint Petersburg State University, respectively. In 2014, the University of British Columbia, and in 2016, the University of California, Berkeley, were added to the portfolio of strategic partnerships; in 2017, a sixth agreement was concluded with the University of Zurich.
Objectives for strategic partnerships are as follows:
- Strengthening international research collaborations and benefitting from synergies with complementary partner universities
- Jointly supporting young academics, particularly through cooperation in doctoral training and by integrating the career path model of Freie Universität Berlin
- Establishing mobility options for researchers and administrative staff
- Diversifying mobility options for students, for example by establishing joint summer schools or structured mobility models
- Promoting cooperation in teaching, for example in the development and implementation of joint programs
- Specifically supporting researchers in the acquisition of third-party funding to promote joint research and teaching projects
For more information about the strategic partnerships, the Berlin University Alliance Partnerships, the partnership networks and funding opportunities within these frameworks – Joint Seed Funding or Joint Postdoc Fellowships, depending on the partner –, please refer to the following links: