Data protection is important to us. Your personal data will be treated in strict confidence and stored securely.
The following data protection information relates exclusively to the provision of our website https://www.drs.fu-berlin.de, applications as part of the selection process for DRS doctoral and award programs, receipt of the DRS newsletter https://lists.fu-berlin.de/listinfo/drs-open-newsletter and participation in DRS courses and workshops.
1. Data Controller
Freie Universität Berlin
Dahlem Research School
Address: Hittorfstr. 16, 14195 Berlin
Phone: 030 838 62061
2. Purpose and legal basis for data processing
Your personal data will be processed in connection with the provision of the website and course booking platform, the selection process for DRS doctoral and award programs and to enable you to participate in DRS courses and workshops.
The legal basis for the processing of your personal data is Article 6 para. 1 a) and Article 6 para. 1 sentence 1 b) GDPR. Please find more information on this below.
3. Processing of personal data when accessing and using the website
To access our website, the short-term registration of your IP address is required. An IP address is a unique, globally valid identification of your computer. As a private user, you will not use a constant IP address in most cases, as an IP address is only temporarily assigned to you by your provider. However, the assignment of user data to certain persons is in principle possible with static IP addresses. Our server stores IP addresses for up to 24 hours. After that, the access data is automatically anonymized.
During your visit to our website, the following information is automatically recorded in our user statistics
- Your IP address - abbreviated after a maximum of 24 hours and thus anonymized *
- A unique number to distinguish visitors (if cookies are enabled)
- URLs visited within our website
- Time of page views
- Type of HTML queries
- Previously visited URL (if transferred from browser) *
- Name and version of your operating system *
- Name, version and language setting of your browser *
- Screen resolution and color depth
- Technologies and formats supported by the browser (Cookies, Java, Flash, PDF, WindowsMedia, QuickTime, Realplayer, Director, SilverLight, Google Gears)
As soon as the data transmitted to us via the cookies is no longer required for the purposes described above, this information will be deleted, especially if the cookies are deactivated. Further storage may be carried out in individual cases if this is required by law.
4. Selection procedure for DRS doctoral and award programs
If you apply for any of the DRS doctoral or award programs, your personal data will be processed within the scope of the selection procedure and the awarding of contracts. This includes the selection and allocation of places and positions in DRS doctoral programs, grants within the framework of DRS award programs, and Elsa Neumann scholarships for doctoral researchers. The personal data that will be processed will have been provided by you in the respective process. In addition to DRS staff, the project leads specified in the call for application will have access to your personal data.
The legal basis for the processing of your personal data in order to carry out the application procedure is Art. 6 para. 1 sentence 1 b) GDPR. Your personal data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer required for the application procedure and the deletion is not opposed by any legal storage obligations.
5. Participation in DRS courses and workshops
If you participate in courses or workshops, your personal data will be processed for the purpose of carrying out said courses or workshops. This includes registration and participation in DRS courses and workshops and the corresponding administration of these.
The following data is collected:
- First and last name
- Institutional email address
- Status (doctoral/postdoctoral)
- Matriculation number (voluntary)
- Membership in a structured doctoral program
- Gender (voluntary)
- Nationalities (voluntary)
The legal basis for the processing of your personal data for the purpose of participation in the course program is Art. 6 para. 1 sentence 1 b) DSGVO. Your personal data will be deleted as soon as they are no longer required for participation in the program and the deletion does not conflict with any legal storage obligations.
6. DRS Newsletter https://lists.fu-berlin.de/listinfo/drs-open-newsletter
If you subscribe to the DRS newsletter, your email address will be sent to the responsible administrator.
Your data will not be passed on to third parties in connection with the sending of the newsletter.
We use the so-called double opt-in procedure for sending out the newsletter, i.e. we will only send you the newsletter if you first confirm your registration via a confirmation email sent to you using the link contained in the email. In this way, we want to ensure that only you yourself, as the owner of the specified email address, can subscribe to the newsletter. Your confirmation must be sent promptly after receipt of the confirmation email, otherwise your newsletter registration will be automatically deleted from our database.
The processing of the personal data mentioned above for the newsletter dispatch is based on the declaration of consent voluntarily given by you in the following, in accordance with Art. 6 para. 1 a) GDPR. Your personal data will be stored as long as you have subscribed to the newsletter. The subscription to the newsletter may be cancelled by the user at any time. For this purpose, there is usually a corresponding link in a newsletter. After unsubscribing from the newsletter, the personal data collected for this purpose will be deleted. Further storage may take place in individual cases, if this is required by law.
7. Special categories of personal data
We may process special categories of personal data in accordance with Art. 9 Para. 1 GDPR. We will protect any special personal data with suitable technical and organizational measures and with the required level of protection.
Your personal data will be available to contracted trainers so that they may share course contents with you. Trainers are bound in writing to confidentiality and compliance with data protection regulations. In addition, personal data may be processed by members of staff of external institutions as part of the selection process for DRS doctoral and award programs, if and to the extent described in the call for applications. Personal data may also be processed in part by contract processors. These data processing operations are carried out on the basis of a contract processing agreement in accordance with Art. 28 GDPR.
9. Withdrawal of consent
You have the right to withdraw your consent to the processing of your data at any time by email to email@example.com, with future effect. This, however, does not affect the legitimacy of processing your data until the date of your withdrawal.
10. Rights of data subjects
As a data subject you are entitled to the following rights:
- Right to information: You have a right to access the data we have stored about you as a person and to be informed about how it is processed (Art. 15 GDPR).
- Right to rectification and erasure: You may request correction of inaccurate data or – provided that the legal grounds are in place – erasure of your data (Art. 16-17 GDPR).
- Restriction of processing: Provided that the legal grounds are in place, you may require us to restrict the processing of your data (Art. 18 GDPR).
- Data portability: You may request that we send you all personal data we have stored on you, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format, or you may request that we send your data to a different controller.
- Right to lodge a complaint with any supervisory data protection authority (Art. 77 GDPR).
11. Data Protection Officer
You may contact the data protection officer of Freie Universität Berlin by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org.