Employees, pursuant to Section 28 of the Collective Agreement for the Public Sector governing the the German federal states as it applies to Freie Universität Berlin (TVL FU), and German civil servants (“Beamte/Beamtinnen”), pursuant to the Special Leave Act (SurlVO) of March 7, 2007, may receive paid leave on request for specific exceptional circumstances without their salary or remuneration being cut for the respective period. This applies to the following occasions, among others:
- 25- and 40-year work anniversaries → one working day (a separate regulation applies to civil servants; please refer to Circular V of February 2007).
- Spouse/partner goes into labor → one working day
- Death of a spouse/partner, child, or parent → two working days
- A member of your household becomes seriously ill → one working day per calendar year
- Medical treatment, if this needs to take place during working hours → the medically required period of absence, including travel times