“Mach’s 4 Future” (Do It 4 Future)
A Full Program All Week during the Campus Days on Sustainability and Climate Protection from June 17 to 21 at Freie Universität Berlin
№ 165/2019 from Jun 07, 2019
From June 17 to 21, the SUSTAIN IT! initiative at Freie Universität Berlin will host its seventh “Campus Days for Climate Protection.” Students and volunteers have developed a lineup of events inspired by the “Fridays for Future” movement and its goal of saving the climate. Various workshops and other participatory activities will take place in the main foyer of the Silberlaube building. They aim to inspire and inform people about climate protection in everyday life as well as sustainable lifestyles and consumer practices.
Freie Universität Berlin students have put together an interactive program that engages with the topic of sustainable development. Do-It-Yourself workshops and other hands-on activities will take place between 11:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. all week long. At a workshop on cosmetics, attendees can learn about how to make natural cosmetic products with regular items from their refrigerators at home. The “Why Milk” campaign raises questions about milk and will have samples of vegan alternatives, like oat milk, for visitors to try. An upcycling workshop will show how to make new clothes out of old ones. A campus tour led by the “Blühender Campus” (blooming campus) initiative will focus on their idea of turning plain lawns into an insect-friendly field of diverse plant life. All events are open to the public and free of charge.
At the sustainability market during the Campus Days, visitors can find information on a range of regional and local sustainability initiatives in Berlin and how to get involved. Some of the organizations that will be present include Verkehrsclub Deutschland (VCD), BürgerEnergie Berlin, IFOK, Junges Engagement, Ting Ding, Netzwerk N, Tiny House, Premium Kollektiv, Kunststoffe e.V., RESTLOS GLÜCKLICH, Slowfood, and Fridays for Future.
Organizing the university fair brings together volunteers and students from different degree programs, in particular those students who are working on their general professional skills in the area of “sustainable development” in a seminar led by the SUSTAIN IT! coordinator, Karola Braun-Wanke. In interdisciplinary teams, students learn about the principles of sustainability for both a university context and beyond. Together they create ideas for projects and participatory activities dealing with topics of their choice. The university fair gives them a chance to put their ideas into action.
Time and Place
- June 17 to 21, 2019, daily from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m
- Silberlaube Foyer, Otto-von-Simson-Straße 26, 14195 Berlin, Subway: Thielplatz or Dahlem-Dorf (U3)
- The full program and more information on the sustainability and climate protection university fair 2019: https://www.fu-berlin.de/sites/sustain/aktionen/Hochschultage/hst2019/ (in German)
- SUSTAIN IT! Initiative: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/sustain/index.html
- General professional skills/Skill area: Sustainable development: https://www.fu-berlin.de/studium/studienangebot/abv/nachhaltigkeit (in German)
- General professional skills course: “Nachhaltigkeit konkret gestalten” (putting sustainability into action): https://www.fu-berlin.de/vv/de/lv/521329?m=348963&p=348375&pc=478016&sm=458207 (in German)
Contact and Interviewee
Karola Braun-Wanke, Coordinator, SUSTAIN IT!, Website: www.fu-berlin.de/sustain-it, Tel.: +49 151 726-97360 or +49 30 838-51599, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org