University Culture and Global Commitment
Freie Universität Berlin considers itself an educational institution that assumes responsibility on a global scale. It deliberately sets its founding principles and values in action through its collaborations. Freie Universität Berlin conceives of itself as an international university, an understanding that must be made tangible for and conveyed to all of its members. The campus itself should reflect the university’s culture as a place characterized by a global perspective, by cultural and linguistic diversity, and by a commitment to academic freedom and an enlightened tolerance.
In terms of internationalization, Freie Universität also commits to its founding principles of "Iustitia, Veritas, Libertas". The protection and defense of academic freedom is an important goal of our international activities and internationalization should be conducted responsibly and in dialogue with Freie Universität's global partners. In August 2020, the executive board published the strategy paper "Internationalization and Academic Freedom" that discusses these issues in more detail. In January 2022 Freie Universität Berlin appointed a China Advisory Board with the aim of supporting the strategic development of academic cooperation with partner universities in China, with the further objective of serving as a “critical friend” to supervise activities between Freie Universität and its Chinese partners by providing an external perspective.
The university culture is characterized by:
- Active support for persecuted and threatened international students and researchers through programs such as “Scholars at Risk”, “Welcome@FUBerlin”, "Academics in Solidarity" and Academy in Exile
- Expanding the international alumni network
- Implementing bilingualism (German-English) through the Central Translation Office
- Providing targeted information about international activities of Freie Universität
- Regular events that put Freie Universität’s internationalization strategy center stage