- As signatory of the “Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities,” Freie Universität Berlin supports free access to sources of human knowledge and cultural heritage. The Executive Board and the Academic Senate of Freie Universität Berlin advise all University members to archive their research results and scholarly works in open-access repositories and to publish in open-access journals.
- The Executive Board and the Academic Senate of Freie Universität Berlin strongly encourage all University members to observe the guidelines set forth by the German Research Foundation (DFG) and other important funding organizations when negotiating publication agreements by retaining irrevocable non-exclusive rights to electronically publish and archive their research results and to make them accessible free of charge.
- Electronic copies (e-prints, post-prints) of documents already published in paid-access journals should be deposited in Freie Universität Berlin’s institutional repository or in a discipline-specific repository and thus be made available to the scholarly community.
- In accordance with its collection mandate, the University Library is requested to enhance its acquisition activities and ask researchers to deposit their scholarly publications in the University’s institutional repository in order to make them accessible.
- The Center for Digital Systems provides a publication platform for the publication of open-access journals that University members are involved in.
Minutes of the sitting of 23 July 2008 (access restricted to Freie Universität network; German).
The Open Access Policy of Freie Universität Berlin can be downloaded here (German).