Springe direkt zu Inhalt

The Chinese University of Hong Kong – Hong Kong

German citizens can travel to Hong Kong for a period of up to 90 days without a visa. After leaving (e.g. to Macau, or to the Republic of China with a visa you have already obtained in Germany), you may immediately be permitted an additional 90-day stay in Hong Kong without a visa. In this case, it is a prerequisite that the first time you enter Hong Kong your passport be valid for at least six more months.
(Source: http://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/DE/Laenderinformationen/00-SiHi/HongkongSicherheit.html)

It is easiest to find offers for rooms and flats in Hong Kong online. Besides the website Airbnb, where private rooms are available from € 650 per month, you can find accommodation in Hong Kong here (registration necessary).

There are plenty of ways to get around Hong Kong, whether by taxi, ferry, train, bus or tram. The city claims one of the world’s safest and most efficient public transport systems and a convenient payment method in the form of the Octopus card.

You can find the route planner of the Hong Kong Transport Department here.

To use public transport without cash, you will need an Octopus card. There are various types of Octopus cards available while Sold Tourist Octopus may be the best choice for tourists as it provides great convenience to you for both transportation and retail purchases during your stay in Hong Kong. This Octopus has some Hong Kong iconic landmarks featured on the card face, and you can easily get it from the major convenience stores within the airport or city.

(Source: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294217-s303/Hong-Kong:China:Public.Transportation.html)

You should first of all find out if your own health insurance can offer you a package covering your stay in Hong Kong. You must remain insured in Germany so that you are covered whenever you return home.

Nearly all insurance companies offer foreign health insurance, rates for which you can find on their websites. Here are some examples:

The company Mawista specialises in foreign health insurance for those studying abroad.

During your stay at the CUHK within the context of the PCD network's Mobility Program you will receive support in the form of lump sum grants:

  • A subsidy of your accommodation costs
  • A subsidy of your travel costs
  • Exemption from student fees at the CUHK
  • Free access to all the university’s libraries

Simultaneous receipt of a scholarship

Other DAAD scholarships (e.g. PROMOS, individual DAAD scholarships, etc.) must be suspended during your stay. Likewise, a PCD fellowship cannot be combined with an ERASMUS scholarship, a Deutschlandstipendium, a Fulbright scholarship, or a scholarship from the Deutsch-Französische Hochschule.

Other public or private scholarships may be accepted in full, in addition to that from the PCD network.

To take part in the PCD network's Mobility Program, M.A. and PhD students require an informal letter from a mentor offering to supervise their research during their stay at the University of Hong Kong. A mentor should be a humanities professor at the host university whom you choose and contact on your own before your stay. An overview of those teaching in the humanities at the CUHK can be found here.

A mentor must not necessarily be a professor working in your own field. Nonetheless, you will be affiliated with the institute of your mentor during your stay.

PostDocs are asked to show that they have already established contact with researchers at the CUHK (e.g., with an extract from an email).

Employees of Freie Universitaet Berlin taking part in the PCD network’s Mobility Program should, for legal and actuarial reasons, apply to have their exchange recognized as an official business trip (“Dienstreise”). Under specific conditions, you might continue to receive your salary whilst undertaking your trip.