Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Hebrew University of Jerusalem - Israel

German citizens do not require a visa for a stay lasting up to three months. For longer periods it is recommended to apply for a student visa at the Israeli embassy before you leave. The processing time is usually around two weeks. To apply for a visa you need the following documents:

  • Your passport, which should be valid for at least six months after the end of your stay in Israel.    
  • A German residence permit valid for at least six months (for non-German citizens).
  • Application form (Antragsformular A), completed in full and signed
  • A current passport-sized photo (5 x 5 cm!) – write your name and surname on the back
  • A photograph of your invitation to the Hebrew University of Jerusalem
  • A doctor’s assessment of your health (form for doctors)
  • Proof of travel medical insurance
  • Written proof of how you will finance yourself during your stay in Israel (scholarship documents, bank statements, guarantees, etc.)
  • € 43 application fee. Transfer the money to the account listed below and attach to your passport a receipt showing the transfer. Do not send cash or cheques.
  • A self-addressed envelope franked for € 4, or
  • In the case of a personal application made at the consulate, please pay in person with an EC-Card

Payments for consulate services are to be made to the following account:

Account holder: Botschaft des Staates Israel, Bank: Deutsche Bank

IBAN: DE 47 1007 0000 0067 6114 00, BIC: DEUTDEBBXXX

Payment description (“Verwendungszweck”): Visa, Name, Passport number

It is easiest to find offers for rooms and flats in Jerusalem online. Besides the website Airbnb, where private rooms are available from €450 per month, the following sites can help you find accommodation in Jerusalem:

In case you sign a rent contract, you can find more information here.

The most important means of public transport in Jerusalem are busses. The bus network is extensive and every area of the city can be reached quickly. In addition there is the tram service, Jerusalem Light Rail. The trams pass about every ten minutes.

For longer journeys out of Jerusalem it is possible to take the train (e.g. Jerusalem – Tel Aviv takes around 140 minutes).

The Jerusalem public transport website is to be found here.

To get around the New City from Sunday to Friday there is a good bus service with two main hubs: the Central Bus Station in north Jerusalem and the railway station in south Jerusalem. On Saturdays (the Jewish Sabbath) Israeli buses do not run. However, if you are in the Old City, there are Arab Palestinian bus lines that serve nearby Arab villages.

Taxis can be hailed in the streets or booked by phone. For tourists there is a round tour bus (number 99) that allows you to hop on and off as it goes around the city. 

(Source: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293983-s303/Jerusalem:Israel:Public.Transportation.html)

You should first of all find out if your own health insurance can offer you a package covering your stay in Israel. You must remain insured in Germany so that you are covered whenever you return home.

Nearly all insurance companies offer foreign health insurance, rates for which you can find on their websites. Here are some examples:

The company Mawista specialises in foreign health insurance for those studying abroad.

Be careful! For regions in which the Foreign Office has issued a travel warning, insurance is not valid!

During your stay at the HUJI within the context of the PCD network's Mobility Program you will receive support in the form of lump sum grants:

  • A subsidy of your accommodation costs
  • A subsidy of your travel costs
  • Exemption from student fees at the HUJI
  • Free access to all the university’s libraries

Simultaneous receipt of a scholarship

Other DAAD scholarships (e.g. PROMOS, individual DAAD scholarships, etc.) must be suspended during your stay. Likewise, a PCD fellowship cannot be combined with an ERASMUS scholarship, a Deutschlandstipendium, a Fulbright scholarship, or a scholarship from the Deutsch-Französische Hochschule.

Other public or private scholarships may be accepted in full, in addition to that from the PCD network.

To take part in the PCD network's Mobility Program, M.A. and PhD students require an informal letter from a mentor offering to supervise their research during their stay at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. A mentor should be a humanities professor at the host university whom you choose and contact on your own before your stay. An overview of the departments and programs in the humanities at the HUJI can be found here.

A mentor must not necessarily be a professor working in your own field. Nonetheless, you will be affiliated with the institute of your mentor during your stay.

PostDocs are asked to show that they have already established contact with researchers at the HUJI (e.g., with an extract from an email).

Employees of Freie Universitaet Berlin taking part in the PCD network’s Mobility Programme should, for legal and actuarial reasons, apply to have their exchange recognized as an official business trip (“Dienstreise”). Under specific conditions, you might continue to receive your salary whilst undertaking your trip.