Springe direkt zu Inhalt

École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales, Paris - France

Rents in Paris are very high. Usually it is cheapest to rent a room in a shared flat.
Airbnb offers an initial overview of the housing market and monthly rates.
A room costs on average € 1,000, but it’s possible to find one from € 500.
The following sites are good options for finding a room in a shared flat:

It is, of course, also possible to rent your own flat. Landlords usually place their advertisements here. If you want to look at a flat you must always arrive an hour before the time indicated in the advert.

It’s also possible to find rooms in Paris on wg-gesucht.

Paris provides a very well developed public transport network. For frequent travellers remaining in Paris less than a year it is advisable to buy a weekly ticket for € 19.85, which allows an unlimited number of journeys. An overview of all RAPT (Régie Autonome des Transports Parisiens) tariffs can be found here.


Since France is a member of the EU, you will not need additional health insurance. The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) on the reverse of your German health insurance card will give you access to all the necessary medical services in France.

During your stay at the EHESS within the context of the PCD network's Mobility Program you will receive support in the form of lump sum grants:

  • A subsidy of your accommodation costs
  • A subsidy of your travel costs
  • Exemption from student fees at the EHESS
  • Free access to all the university’s libraries

Simultaneous receipt of a scholarship

  • Other DAAD scholarships (e.g. PROMOS, individual DAAD scholarships, etc.) must be suspended during your stay. Likewise, a PCD fellowship cannot be combined with an ERASMUS scholarship, a Deutschlandstipendium, a Fulbright scholarship, or a scholarship from the Deutsch-Französische Hochschule.
  • Other public or private scholarships may be accepted in full, in addition to that from the PCD network.

To take part in the PCD network's Mobility Program, M.A. and PhD students require an informal letter from a mentor offering to supervise their research during their stay at the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales. A mentor should be a humanities professor at the host university whom you choose and contact on your own before your stay. An overview of those teaching in the humanities at the EHESS can be found here.

A mentor must not necessarily be a professor working in your own field. Nonetheless, you will be affiliated with the institute of your mentor during your stay.

PostDocs are asked to show that they have already established contact with researchers at the EHESS (e.g., with an extract from an email).

Employees of Freie Universitaet Berlin taking part in the PCD network’s Mobility Program should, for legal and actuarial reasons, apply to have their exchange recognized as an official business trip (“Dienstreise”). Under specific conditions, you might continue to receive your salary whilst undertaking your trip.