Berlin Immigration Office (Landesamt für Einwanderung)
If you do not have a passport from an EU member state and you plan to stay in Germany for more than three months, you will need to apply for a residence permit at the local immigration office. You can schedule an appointment yourself or take advantage of support offered by the Division of International Affairs at Freie Universität Berlin. Their staff can advise you and help you with the application process. Further information can be found on the Berlin Immigration Office website, or you can contact Freie Universität’s International Affairs directly at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Applications for a residence permit can only be submitted within the six weeks just before your prior permit expires.
If you would like Freie Universität’s passport support service to help, you will need to provide them with the following:
- A completed application form (application for a temporary residence permit/granting a residence permit)
- A valid passport
- Employment agreement/statement of intent
- A biometric passport photo
- Certificate of registration from the district office (Bürgeramt)
- Proof of health insurance
- Proof that you are financially self-supporting e.g., employment contract)
In case you want to apply and schedule an appointment yourself, please note that the online appointments fill up months in advance. Please schedule an appointment as early as possible. To check current availability, please visit the Berlin Immigration Office website.
Contact Passport Service at Freie Universität Berlin
Tel.: 030 – 838 -57304
Tuesdays and Thursdays 9:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m. and 2:00 - 5:00 p.m.