Public Online Panel Discussion on 30 Years of German Reunification
English-language panel discussion series 'Berlin Talks' presented by the international short-term study programs FU-BEST and FUBiS of Freie Universität Berlin, broadcast live on October 8, 2020 at 7 p.m. (Central European time)
№ 179/2020 from Oct 05, 2020
The international short-term study programs FU-BEST (European Studies) and FUBiS (International Summer and Winter University) at Freie Universität Berlin present an online panel discussion on October 8, 2020, entitled “German Unification 1990 – Retrospective and Outlook after 30 Years.” On the occasion of the 30th anniversary of German reunification, four experts will discuss its cultural, political, social, and international dimensions, offering a retrospective as well as an outlook for the future. The discussion will take place in English; audience participation is welcome via online chat during the live-stream broadcast.
The panel discussion will address questions on, for example, how the events from 1989 to 1990 should be seen in historical perspective – was it a case of reunification, unification, or accession of the GDR? What were (and perhaps still are today) some of the most important societal dynamics and consequences? Where can we still identify a lingering East-West divide in Germany? And to what extent does unified Germany have to grapple with a “return of the past”?
- Dr. Dirk Verheyen (Moderator): Academic Director, FU-BEST Program
- Dr. Marita Meyer: German studies expert; specializations include discourse on globalization and ecology in art and literature
- Dr. Martin Jander: Historian and journalist; specializations include political opposition in the former GDR
- Dr. Klaus Müller: Sociologist; specializations include post-communist transformations and international political economy
- Rolf-Dieter Schnelle: Political scientist and former German diplomat; specializations include public diplomacy, foreign cultural policy, and transatlantic relations
Broadcast of the panel discussion
- Thursday, October 8, 2020, from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. (Central European time)
- Live stream via Webex Events: https://fu-berlin.webex.com/fu-berlin-en/onstage/g.php?MTID=ec22bcf4273f31576314472877727c9c5, password: berlintalks;
available later on the website www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks as well as on the YouTube channels of the organizing programs FU-BEST and FUBiS
- The event will be held in English and will be broadcast live from the Academic Senate Hall of Freie Universität Berlin. Online viewers are invited to participate via the chat with questions and comments.
About Berlin Talks
This interactive and public online event series addresses social issues, discussed and examined from different perspectives by internationally recognized experts, and is organized by the international short-term study programs of the Freie Universität Berlin FU-BEST and FUBiS: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
About Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST) and Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University (FUBiS)
These international short-term study programs include German language instruction as well as a large selection of (especially English-language) subject courses. Participants can choose between a semester-long program or the summer/winter program. For more information visit www.fubest.org and www.fubis.org. Both programs have been awarded the Quality Improvement Program (QUIP) quality seal by the Forum on Education Abroad. In 2019, they welcomed a total of 934 students from over 40 countries to Freie Universität Berlin.
As a result of the COVID19 pandemic, the programs also offer academic online programs awarding internationally recognized ECTS credits as well as free online public lecture series. The online offers from FU-BEST and FUBiS were recognized in 2020 by the initiative “Germany 'Land of Ideas': Beyond Crisis”.
- “Berlin Talks” panel discussion series: www.fu-berlin.de/berlintalks
- Videos of the free FU-BEST lecture series 2020: www.fubest.org/online YouTube
- Videos of the free FUBiS lecture series 2020: http://www.fubis.org/online YouTube
- FUBiS online courses, January 4-27, 2021: http://www.fubis.org/online/online_courses
Friederike Zähringer, Coordinator Marketing & Communications, Freie Universität Berlin International Summer and Winter University FUBiS / Freie Universität Berlin European Studies Program (FU-BEST), Tel: +49 (0)30 / 838 - 66560, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org