Scientific Facts about the Coronavirus
Public Lecture by Professor of Virology Christian Drosten on February 28, 2020, at Freie Universität Berlin
№ 041/2020 from Feb 25, 2020
On February 28, Professor Christian Drosten will give a public talk at Freie Universität Berlin, in which he will present the latest scientific findings regarding the outbreak and spread of the novel coronavirus SARS-CoV-2. Professor Drosten, director of the Institute of Virology at Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, the joint medical faculty of Freie Universität Berlin and Humboldt-Universität, will explain the novel features of the virus, its origins, infection cycle, and the threat it poses. Recent research has already shown that SARS-CoV-2 is much more contagious than regular flu viruses. He will also address questions concerning groups at risk of infection, protective measures, and possible treatment options. Drosten has many years of experience in the field of epidemiology and the ecology of coronaviruses, which is one of his main areas of research. He is one of the leading experts in Germany on SARS and MERS coronaviruses and was one of the first to develop tests for the novel virus SARS-CoV-2. Professor Drosten’s talk “News about the New Coronavirus” will be held in English. Admission is free. No advance registration is required.
The virus SARS-CoV-2 can lead to pneumonia and has flu-like symptoms. The disease is also known as COVID-19. The first outbreak of the epidemic was reported at the end of December in the city of Wuhan, China. Today, new epicenters have emerged in Japan, South Korea, Iran, and northern Italy. According to experts and the WHO, the SARS-CoV-2 virus is on its way to spreading around the world and becoming a pandemic.
Time and Location
- Friday, February 28, 2020, at 10:00 a.m.
- Elisabeth Schiemann Lecture Hall, Institute of Plant Physiology and Microbiology, Freie Universität Berlin, Königin-Luise-Straße 12-16, 14195 Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Haike Antelmann, Institute of Biology, Freie Universität Berlin, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dr. Tobias Otte, Institute of Biology, Freie Universität Berlin, Email: email@example.com
Further Information on the Spread of the Coronavirus SARS-CoV-2
- The World Health Organization’s statement on global preparations for a pandemic:
- Website with statistics on the number of infections in different countries: