“Africa – Origin and Fate of Humanity”
33rd Summer University at Freie Universität Berlin from August 27 to September 2, 2018
№ 190/2018 from Jul 13, 2018
Together with the Berlin Academy for Further Education, Freie Universität Berlin is organizing the 33rd Summer University from August 27 to September 2. Interested parties can attend lectures, courses, and excursions on the topic “Africa – Origin and Fate of Humanity.” As part of one theme of the day, “Migration from Africa,” the documentary film When Paul Came over the Sea will be shown on Friday, August 31 at 9 a.m. Afterwards director Jakob Preuss and the Cameroonian protagonist Paul Nkamani will discuss migration from Africa to Europe. Registration is required for the seminar and lectures and may be done online at: www.berlinakademie.de/su_anmeldung.php.
Participants of the 33rd summer university will be able to gain new impressions about the history of Africa, the colonial period, and the genetic origins of humanity in Africa. Events on African literature and art will address the cultural significance of the continent for the present. Presentations will provide visitors with current insights into economic and social developments as well as political challenges in the African states. The various academic perspectives will be supplemented with, for example, excursions to the Ethnological Museum Berlin and the House of the Wannsee Conference memorial site, and a concert with musicians from Burkina Faso and Mali.
Time, Locations, and Program
- Monday, August 27 to Sunday, September 2, 2018; courses daily between 9 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Morning events: Hörsaal 1 b, Rost- und Silberlaube, Freie Universität, Habelschwerdter Allee 45, 14195 Berlin; subway station: Dahlem-Dorf (U3)
- Afternoon events: Seminar Center, Silberlaube, Freie Universität, Otto-von-Simson-Straße 26, 14195 Berlin; subway station: Dahlem-Dorf (U3) as well as off the campus of Freie Universität (see program for location details)
- Program: https://www.berlinakademie.de/pdf/Berliner_Sommer-Uni_2018_Programm-Heft.pdf
Fees and Registration
- Regular price: 90 euros; members of the Berliner Akademie: 50 euros; members of pro seniores, Urania Berlin, and the Ernst Reuter Association and holders of FU-GasthörerCards: 60 euros; daily admission: 18 euros
- Free plenary sessions for students and employees of Freie Universität Berlin
- Information and registration: www.berlinakademie.de/su_anmeldung.php
- Prof. Dr. Harm Kuper, Department of Education and Psychology, Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-54653, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ferdinand Nowak, Berliner Akademie für weiterbildende Studien, Tel.: +49 30 7852090 (Tuesdays and Fridays, 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.), Email: BerlinAkademie@t-online.de