New Online Witnesses Video Archive: “Memories of the Occupation in Greece”
Presentation on April 23, 2018, in the Topography of Terror Documentation Center
№ 055/2018 from Mar 28, 2018
A new digital archive with memories of eyewitnesses of the occupation of Greece by National Socialist Germany from 1941 to 1944 will be presented on Monday, April 23, 2018, at 3 p.m. The public event will take place in the Topography of Terror Documentation Center. RSVP via email, indicating “Griechenland” in subject line: email@example.com.
The archive was set up by the Center for Digital Systems at Freie Universität Berlin in cooperation with the University of Athens. The project was financed by the German Federal Foreign Office through funds from the German-Greek Future Fund as well as funds from the Stavros Niarchos Foundation and the Foundation Remembrance, Responsibility, and Future.
For journalists there will be a possibility to speak with two witnesses from Greece in advance of the presentation beginning at 10 a.m. on April 23, 2018. They speak German.
If interested, kindly schedule an appointment by April 9: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Online Archive
The archive contains 90 biographical video interviews referring to the time of the occupation from 1941 to 1944 as well as the living conditions during the years leading up to the occupation and the diverse effects of the occupation on people’s daily lives. In addition, the archive contains transcripts, photos, documents, and other accompanying material.
- Dr. Andreas Nachama, Director, Topography of Terror Foundation
- Michael Roth, Minister of State for Europe, German Federal Foreign Office
- Theodoros Daskarolis, Ambassador, Hellenic Republic in Germany
- Prof. Dr. Klaus Hoffmann-Holland, Vice President, Freie Universität Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Kostas Buraselis, Vize Rector, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Christina Lambropoulou, Chief Financial Officer, Stavros Niarchos Foundation
Presentation of the Archive:
- Prof. Dr. Nicolas Apostolopoulos, Project Leader, Freie Universität Berlin
- Prof. Dr. Hagen Fleischer, Academic Supervisor, National and Kapodistrian University of Athens
- Dr. Anna Maria Droumpouki, Project Researcher, Freie Universität Berlin
Panel Discussion with Two Witnesses:
- Efstathios Chaitidis and Argyris Sfountouris, survivors of massacres (moderator: Georgios Pappas, correspondent in Germany with ERT, Hellenic Broadcasting Corporation)
Time and Location
- Monday, April 23, 2018, 3 p.m.
- Topography of Terror Documentation Center, Niederkirchnerstraße 8, 10963 Berlin
- Register in advance by email, indicating “Griechenland” in subject line: email@example.com
Center for Digital Systems, Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-52775, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org