Promoting Social Change through Networking between Universities
International Spring Campus Conference at Freie Universität Berlin, April 9 to 13, 2018
№ 050/2018 from Mar 15, 2018
“Moving Beyond the Ivory Tower” is the theme of this year’s Spring Campus Conference, the third one to be held by the University Alliance for Sustainability at Freie Universität Berlin. From April 9 to 13, 2018, about 120 researchers and administrative staff members from all over the world will address the issue of how universities can contribute toward making society more sustainable. The conference language will be English. Interested parties can register until March 26, 2018.
Under the auspices of the University Alliance for Sustainability (UAS), Freie Universität Berlin collaborates with the Hebrew University of Jerusalem (Israel), the University of British Columbia (Canada), St. Petersburg State University (Russia), and Peking University (China) on working out concepts, teaching formats, and research projects. The aim is to focus on the abstract topic of sustainability as a cross-cutting theme in research, teaching, and campus management. At this year’s conference, there will be presentations of current research findings from all the disciplines. The UAS is funded in part by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). A total of 280 individuals from 16 countries attended the previous two conferences.
On the opening day, keynote addresses will be given by Prof. Dr. Ottmar Edenhofer, Deputy Director and Chief Economist of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, and Dr. Maja Göpel, the new Secretary General of the German Advisory Council on Global Change. In addition, four research workshops, a management workshop, and a conference for doctoral candidates will take place within the framework of the conference.
Time and Location
- Monday, April 9, 2018, starting at 1:30 p.m., to Friday, April 13, 2018.
- Freie Universität Berlin, Fabeckstraße 23/25, 14195 Berlin.
Opening Day Keynotes
- Prof. Dr. Ottmar Edenhofer, Deputy Director and Chief Economist of the Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, “Facing the Challenges of International Climate Policy: The Role of Science”
- Dr. Maja Göpel, the new Secretary General of the German Advisory Council on Global Change: “The Sustainable Development Goals as a Normative Compass for Science?”
- Free of charge for students, researchers, and other staff employed at Freie Universität Berlin.
- For external participants: 190 euros; external students and doctoral students: 90 euros.
Katrin Risch, Sustainability and Energy Management Unit, Freie Universität Berlin; Coordinator, University Alliance for Sustainability, Tel.: +49 30 838-51044, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org