Dealing with Images in the Age of Social Media
Panel Discussion on March 2 in the Academy of Arts (Hanseatenweg) / In cooperation with Freie Universität Berlin
№ 035/2018 from Feb 23, 2018
Dealing with images in the age of Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and other social media is the subject of a panel discussion to be held March 2, 2018, in the Akademie der Künste in Berlin. Representatives from the areas of culture and science will discuss how usage has changed and how art relates to these images circulating in digital networks. The discussants will analyze the semantics and the affective dynamics of such images as well as their aesthetic qualities. The panel discussion will take place in English. The moderators will be Dr. med. Kerstin Schankweiler, a researcher at the Collaborative Research Center "Affective Societies" at the Department of Political and Social Sciences of Freie Universität Berlin and Julia Höner, the artistic director of KAI 10 | Arthena Foundation in Dusseldorf. Both are curators of the exhibition "Affect Me. Social Media Images in Art," which will be on view in Düsseldorf until March 10. The discussion is being held to accompany the exhibition.
- Lara Baladi, internationally acclaimed Egyptian-Lebanese-French artist, activist, and lecturer
- Sarah Nankivell, member of Forensic Architecture, a research group at Goldsmiths, University of London
- Philip Scheffner, film maker, producer, video and sound artist in Berlin
Time and Location
- March 2, 2018, starting at 7 p.m.
- Akademie der Künste, Clubraum, Hanseatenweg 10, 10557 Berlin; S-Bhf. Bellevue (S3, S5, S7, S9); subway station: Hansaplatz (U9, Bus 106, Bus N26)
- Dr. Kerstin Schankweiler, researcher, CRC "Affective Societies," Department of Political and Social Sciences, Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-55214, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Julia Höner, artistic director, KAI 10 | Arthena Foundation, Email: email@example.com
Information about the Exhibition in Düsseldorf
The exhibition in Düsseldorf brings together works by nine internationally renowned contemporary artists. It was developed in close cooperation between the Düsseldorf art institution, KAI 10 | Arthena Foundation, and the research project "Affective Dynamics of Images in the Age of Social Media" of the Collaborative Research Center "Affective Societies" of Freie Universität. The curators are Julia Höner of KAI 10 and Kerstin Schankweiler of Freie Universität.
- on display through March 10, 2018; opening hours: Tuesday through Saturday, 12:00 noon to 5:00 p.m.
- KAI 10 | Arthena Foundation, Kaistraße 10, 40221 Düsseldorf, Tel.: +49 211 99434 130, Web: www.kaistrasse10.de