Syria between Destruction and Preservation
Exhibition in the Campus Library of Freie Universität Berlin Extended until November 12, 2017/ One-hour Guided Tours Available
№ 232/2017 from Sep 04, 2017
The exhibition "Syria between Destruction and Preservation − The Excavation of Tell Sheikh Hamad" in the Campus Library of Freie Universität has been extended until November 12, 2017. Presenting materials from the archives of Freie Universität on the excavation of Tell Sheikh Hamad, Syria, it is an example of how the Syrian cultural heritage is being preserved at many institutions in the world outside of Syria. The exhibition was curated by archaeology students and includes paintings by the journalist Rolf Brockschmidt. There is no charge for admission. The exhibition may be viewed during the opening hours of the library, Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday/Sunday from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Several one-hour guided tours for groups of persons up to ten have been scheduled. Advance registration for these tours is requested: www.schechhamad.de.
For 35 years, until 2010, within the project "Excavation in Tell Sheikh Hamad" funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), archaeologists conducted basic archaeological research on the lower Khabur River (Syria), with particular emphasis on the Assyrian culture of the Middle, Neo-, and post-Assyrian periods (13th to 6th century BC).
Dates of the Guided Tours
- Friday, September 15, 2017, 2 p.m. – Hartmut Kühne
- Friday, September 22, 2017, 2 p.m. – Hartmut Kühne
- Friday, September 29, 2017, 2 p.m. – Hartmut Kühne
- Friday, October 6, 2017, 2 p.m. – Hartmut Kühne
- Saturday, October 14, 2017, 3 p.m. – Konstantin Gnybek
- Saturday, October 21, 2017, 3 p.m. – Konstantin Gnybek
- Tuesday, October 24 , 2017, 4:30 p.m. – Janoscha Kreppner
- Saturday, October 27, 2017, 2 p.m. – Hartmut Kühne
- Friday, November 10, 2017, 2 p.m. – Jens Rohde
Meeting place for the guided tours: entrance to the building at Fabeckstr. 23-25 from Fabeck Strasse
Out of consideration for the library patrons, guided tours of the exhibition can only be offered for small groups of up to 10 persons. Please register for the guided tour of your choice by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. The tours take about one hour.
Time and Location of the Exhibition
- Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. until Sunday, November 12, 2017
- Campus Library, Fabeckstraße 23/25, 14195 Berlin; subway station: Dahlem-Dorf (U3)
Prof. em. Dr. Hartmut W. Kühne, Institute of Ancient Near Eastern Archaeology, Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-59185, Email: email@example.com