Get Ready, Get Set, Go!
New Interdisciplinary Master's Degree Program in Computational Sciences as of the 2016/2017 Winter Semester - Information Session on May 25
№ 165/2016 from May 20, 2016
A new interdisciplinary master’s degree program in computational sciences will be offered at Freie Universität as of the 2016/2017 winter semester. Applications will be accepted between July 1 and August 15, 2016. Students enrolled in the program will be taught how to apply precise mathematical and computer-based methods and to develop software for solving current scientific problems. The classes will mainly be taught in English. The instructors in the program are from the disciplines of chemistry, physics, Earth sciences, mathematics, and computer science. More information about the content and conditions of the program will be presented in an information session on May 25.
The four-semester master's program combines theoretical and application-oriented contents and is divided into the following four components:
- Synchronization: Learning fundamental methods of computational sciences and establishing an interdisciplinary profile from courses that were not worked on in the respective bachelor’s degree program
- Scientific computing: Setting a priority in numerics, statistics, or computer science
- Specialization: Focus on one of the three scientific fields: molecular sciences, Earth sciences, or atmospheric sciences
- Master’s thesis: Writing upa research project in the field chosen for specialization
The applicants must already have a degree as specified in §3 of the Zugangssatzung (admissions statutes) and a working knowledge of English (B1 GER or equivalent).
- Prof. Dr. Frank Noé, Scientific Coordinator, Tel.: +49 30 838-75354, Email: email@example.com
- Ulrike Geiger, Administrative Coordinator, Tel.: +49 30 838-60509, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; www.compsci.fu-berlin.de
Time and Location of the Information Session
- Wednesday, May 25, 2016, 6 – 8 p.m.
- Arnimallee 6 (Pi Building) Seminar Room 031, , 14195 Berlin; subway station: Dahlem-Dorf (U3)
- Applications with a German degree are processed by the central Admissions Office: www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/bewerbung/master/konsekutive-masterstudiengaenge/link-bewerbung-master/index.html
- Applicants with a non-German bachelor's degree have to initially apply via uni-assist: https://www.uni-assist.de/online/fu-berlin/?lang=en (Note: This requires more time and should be done as early as possible and well before the above deadline.)
- Homepage of the new master’s degree program in computational sciences: http://www.compsci.fu-berlin.de
- Master’s degree program in computational sciences in the overview of master’s programs at Freie Universität Berlin: http://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/studienangebot/master/computational_sciences/