New Center for Resistance Research in Veterinary Medicine to Be Established at Freie Universität Berlin
German Joint Science Conference Approved Freie Universität Berlin's Proposal
№ 245/2014 from Jun 27, 2014
A veterinary center for resistance research is being set up at Freie Universität Berlin. Funding for the proposed new project was approved today as one of twelve major projects being supported by the Joint Science Conference (GWK) of the German federal and state governments. Freie Universität Berlin had applied for roughly 28.4 million euros for the new center. The total funding for the twelve research projects amounts to 411 million euros.
Plans are underway to build the facilities for the new center on the veterinary campus of Freie Universität Berlin in Berlin-Düppel. It is expected that the research to be conducted there should help curb the growing problem of resistant pathogens in veterinary medicine. It will create opportunities for new diagnostic procedures, treatment, and hygiene measures to be developed and put into practice. For the first time, researchers doing basic research in veterinary infection medicine and hygiene will be able to work closely with scientists working in veterinary clinical fields, both in research and in education and further training. The planned center is the first of its kind in Germany and Europe. It is expected to set new standards in the field of veterinary clinical research on resistance to antibiotics and drugs against parasites.
The scientific work will cover three main areas:
- research on the molecular basis of increasing resistance to pathogens
- the development of diagnostic methods, vaccines, and other methods, measures, and means for reducing the emergence of resistance
- the transfer of these new developments into practice.
- Prof. Dr. Uwe Rösler, Institute of Animal and Environmental Hygiene, Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-51830, Email: email@example.com
- Prof. Dr. Lothar H. Wieler, Institute of Microbiology and Epizootics, Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-51796, Email: Lothar.Wieler@fu-berlin.de