ERASMUS International Week in 2014 at Freie Universität Berlin
Participants from More than 30 Institutions in 15 Countries
№ 195/2014 from May 30, 2014
Internationalization and sports at universities is the theme of this year's ERASMUS International Week taking place at Freie Universität Berlin from June 3 to 7, 2014. Through various kinds of group work, discussions, and lectures, the participants will learn about the latest developments in the areas of internationalization and sports at universities. During this year's ERASMUS International Week, staff members at Freie Universität Berlin's European partner universities who work in the areas of university sports and internationalization will analyze the potential in their work units for cooperation in integrating international students in everyday life at the university. Forty-five participants from more than 30 institutions in 15 countries are expected to attend. The International Week is being organized by the university's Division of International Affairs and the University Sports Center.
Closer cooperation in the two areas is expected to have positive effects on the universities' internationalization strategies. The participants will have an opportunity to present their own policies and practices and to discuss various options with all the stakeholders. Tours of the campus of Freie Universität are scheduled, including a tour of the university's Water Sports Center in Wannsee. There will also be field trips to various cultural institutions in Berlin and the Carnival of Cultures. At the beginning of the International Week Dr. Siegbert Wuttig, the director of the DAAD's National Agency for Cooperation with European Universities, will give a presentation on how the new Erasmus+ Programme promotes cooperation projects in the areas of sports and internationalization. Prof. Dr. Gudrun Doll-Tepper, a professor of inclusive education, physical activity, and sport at Freie Universität Berlin, will give a presentation on the potential of sports for integrating international students in everyday life at universities. Doll-Tepper is also vice president of the German Olympic Sports Confederation (DOSB), president of the German Olympic Academy (DOA), and an advisor to the World Council of Sport Science and Physical Education (ICSSPE).
The 2014 ERASMUS International Week is being sponsored by the Lifelong Learning Programme of the Directorate General for Education and Culture (DG EAC).
Dates, Location, Schedule
- Tuesday, June 3 through Saturday, June 6, 2014
- Clubhaus, Freie Universität Berlin, Goethestr. 49, 14163 Berlin; subway station: Krumme Lanke (U3) and Seminar Center, Freie Universität Berlin, Otto-von-Simson-Str. 26, 14195 Berlin; subway station: Dahlem-Dorf or Thielplatz (U3)
- Link to the schedule: www.fu-berlin.de/en/sites/abt-4/mobilitaet/personal/International-Week-2014/1_International-Week-Programme_extern.pdf?1389736695
- Jörg Förster, Director, University Sports Center, and Official Representative for Professional Sports at Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 30 838-504 41, Email: email@example.com
- Gesa Heym-Halayqa, ERASMUS Coordinator, Division of International Affairs, Tel.: +49 30 838-700 00, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org