Situation in Syria: Simulation Conference with Egyptian and Libyan Diplomats
German Foreign Office and Freie Universität to Hold Joint Event on April 26, 2012
№ 084/2012 from Apr 17, 2012
The Department of Law at Freie Universität Berlin and the German Foreign Office will be holding a simulated session of the UN Security Council on April 26, 2012. It is part of the Federal Foreign Office’s training for international diplomats. The exercise will focus on the mechanisms of the so-called international responsibility to protect. The participants in the simulation will represent the current members of the Security Council. Media representatives are welcome and are asked to register by April 24 with Peggy Wittke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The event will bring together 22 young diplomats from Egypt and Libya who are currently in Berlin, participating in a training course within the framework of the German Federal Foreign Office's transformation partnership for the countries involved in the Arab Spring. Students from different disciplines at Freie Universität Berlin will also be participating.
The international responsibility to protect doctrine was adopted in 2005 by the UN General Assembly. While the Security Council in March 2011 authorized the establishment of a no-fly zone in Libya, based on the responsibility to protect, in the case of Syria it has only granted a mandate for the deployment of an observer force. The aim of the simulation is to highlight the current debate about the international responsibility to protect and the different positions of the Security Council members and the international community.
Event Location and Times
- Model United Nations: Session of the UN Security Council on the Responsibility to Protect – The Case of Syria
- Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:15 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Henry Ford Building, Senate Assembly Hall (2nd floor), Garystraße 35, 14195 Berlin
- Peggy Wittke, Project Manager of the MUN (Model United Nations) Program at Freie Universität Berlin, Tel.: +49 (0)30 / 838-54705, Email: email@example.com
- Retired Ambassador Dr. Peter Schmidt, Training by the German Federal Foreign Office for International Diplomats , Email: 1-DA-IRQ@auswaertiges-amt.de