Student delegates assume the roles of representatives of states and carry out negotiations on various topics in different committees, such as the UN General Assembly, the World Health Organization, and the International Atomic Energy Agency. The range of topics is broad, and there are opportunities for students of all subjects. The delegates practice strategies in conflict resolution as well as negotiating in English and thus acquire key skills.
Since 1995 delegations have been participating in the NMUN programs under the leadership of Freie Universität Berlin. The students come from all disciplines and subject backgrounds. The delegations from Freie Universität have won many awards for their outstanding achievements.
- Very good English skills
- Knowledge of the United Nations
- Outstanding commitment, even beyond the project team
- Participant contribution approximately 1,000 euros (depending on participants' success in raising sponsorship)
- CV with personal details (name, address, email, phone, age, experience in an international context, photo)
- Subject and number of semester
- Brief statement of reason for application (ca. 100 words)
- Completion of the following assignments: "Democratizing the Security Council." Write two separate statements for the Permanent Representatives of Switzerland and the United States, in which they explain their respective country’s position. (Both parts are to be written in English, altogether about 600 words.)