The EU and Its Citizens is the title of a conference being organized by the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence (JMCE). It will take place on July 5 at Freie Universität Berlin. Is the European Union increasingly losing the support of its population? What are the reasons for this and how might they be addressed? Experts working at the interdisciplinary center, which was founded in 2009 at Freie Universität, will present the results of their research on the EU at the conference. Interested members of the public are welcome to attend. There are no registration fees, but advance registration by June 29 is requested.
Seven researchers from four disciplines are taking a closer look at the relationship between the EU and its citizens. What role do shared values have developing a European identity? Once the Treaty of Lisbon entered into force, did it give EU citizens more rights? How does exchange take place between politicians and the community? The Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence addresses issues such as these. Researchers at the Centre also address current issues such as the future of the eurozone and European Community law. The conference will serve as a platform to discuss the findings of the Jean Monnet Centre with representatives from academia, government, and civil society.
The following academic members of the Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence will give presentations:
- Prof. Dr. Tanja A. Börzel (Academic Coordinator, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence and Director, Center for European Integration, Freie Universität)
- Prof. Dr. Carina Sprungk (Junior Professor of European Integration, Ad Personam Jean Monnet Chair, Freie Universität Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Jürgen Gerhards (Chair of Macrosociology, Freie Universität Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Philipp Engler (Junior Professor of Monetary Macroeconomics, Freie Universität Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Thomas Risse (Head, Center for Transnational Relations, Foreign and Security Policy, Freie Universität Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Christian Calliess (Professor of Public Law and European Law, Ad Personam Jean Monnet Chair, Freie Universität Berlin)
- Prof. Dr. Barbara Pfetsch (Director, Division of Communication Theory and Media Effects)
Time and Location
- July 5, 2012, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Freie Universität Berlin, Seminar Center, Silberlaube (ground floor), Otto-von-Simson-Str. 26, 14195 Berlin
- subway station: Thielplatz or Dahlem Dorf (U3)
Please register by sending an e-mail to email@example.com by Friday, June 29.
Carina Breschke, Coordinator, Jean Monnet Centre of Excellence, Tel. +49 (0)30 / 838-53470,