Science Up Close
Freie Universität Plans 420 Activities for the Citywide "Long Night of the Sciences" on June 14, 2008 – Printed Program Booklets Available
№ 144/2008 from May 23, 2008
From 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m. there will be experiments, lectures, exhibits, concerts, guided tours, films, and guessing games for people of all ages and interests. Researchers will provide information about animals, offer virtual trips to distant planets, or arouse visitors' curiosity about ancient cultures and technologies of the future. They will demonstrate lasers and lie detectors, soccer robots and agents of disease, as well as nano-optics and giant plants. The autonomous car "Spirit of Berlin" will be on display. A spectacular new addition to the program this year will be a demonstration by the Berlin Fire Department and a fireworks display over the roofs of Dahlem shortly before midnight. There will be a shuttle bus service for transporting visitors to the various locations.
• Date: Saturday, June 14, 2008, from 5:00 p.m. to 1:00 a.m.
• More information in the Internet: www.fu-berlin.de/langenacht
• Printed program booklets may be ordered by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; they are also available free of charge in many shops in Dahlem. In addition, they may be obtained from Unishop; the information stand of Studentenwerk, Habelschwerdter Allee 45; and in the Office of the President of Freie Universität, Kaiserswerther Straße 16–18.
Entrance fee: 12 euros/ reduced 8 euros (advance sales up to June 13: 10 euros / 6 euros); Family ticket: 24 euros (in advance 20 euros; admits max. 5 pers., incl. up to 2 adults); children under 6: no charge; late-night ticket: 5 euros (sold at the box offices after 11:00 p.m.).
• Advance Sales: all S-Bahn ticket outlets and S-Bahn ticket vending machines
• Advance Sales Online: possible through June 10, 2008 at www.langenachtderwissenschaften.de (€1.55 fee, incl. postage).
• Box Office in Dahlem: Information stand near the subway at Dahlem Dorf (Berliner Volksbank) and in many participating institutes.