The EXIST Transfer of Research (EXIST-Forschungstransfer) aid program provides support to outstanding research-based startup projects, that are involved in expensive and high risky research and development work. EXIST Transfer of Research is an aid program run by German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and Energy (BMWi) and is co-financed by the European Social Fund. The program consists of two funding stages/phases:
Aid phase I: Implementation of development work to prove technological feasibility, development of prototypes, mapping out preparation a business plan and founding establishment of the company.
Aid phase II: Further development work up to market readiness and commencement of business activities as well as laying the groundwork creating conditions for external follow-up financing.
- Research teams with a maximum of 3 persons
- Scientists, scholars, or researchers
- Technicians or engineers
- Laboratory technicians or assistants
- The team can be expanded to include a person with business administration skills and expertise after 6 months Enlargement of the team is possible after 6 months with one in business administration skilled person.
Requirements for aid
- An innovative idea concerning a product, process, or method that is especially challenging or sophisticated in technical terms and whose feasibility has not yet been verified Enlargement of the team is possible after 6 months with one in business administration skilled person.
- Members of the team of researchers must have an academic degree at the least The first academic grad for the Members of the research team is required
- The project manager must prove experience in project management
- The idea must be submitted to the higher education institution in the form of a project sketch that is suitable for evaluation
- The project must be supervised by a mentor from the higher education institution
Aid phase I
- Support provided over 18 months, possible extension for 6 months
- Applications for an aid period of as much as 24 months are permitted on a case-by-case basis for highly innovative development projects that are proven to be especially time-consuming
- Personnel expenses for a maximum of 3 members of the research team and one business manager
- Costs of materials up to € 25,000
Aid phase II
- Maximum duration: 18 months
- The applicant during this stage can be the company that was founded in the course of or as a result of aid phase I
- Non-repayable grant of up to € 180,000
- Maximum of 75% of the project-specific costs
- Prerequisite: the company team must provide its own funds and, where applicable, venture capital at a ratio of 1:3 (€ 50,000 maximum)
The application process
- The applicant is the relevant higher education institution
- Application deadlines: January 31 and July 30 (In case you are interested please contact Profund Innovation 3-4 month prior to application deadlines)
Further Information about EXIST Transfer of Research
Tel: (030) 838-736 34