The Proof of Concept grant supplements the research grants awarded by the European Research Council (ERC). It is geared exclusively toward researchers who already hold an ERC grant and wish to utilize a research finding from their ongoing or already completed project in the pre-commercial stage. The objective of a Proof of Concept project is to review the market potential of an idea like this and to further develop it in terms of readiness for application, commercialization, or marketing.
Target group / requirements:
- Researchers who have already received an ERC grant (StG/CoG/AdG/SyG) and wish to utilize a research finding in the pre-commercial stage.
- The ERC project must either still be in progress or have been completed within the last year (reference date: January 1 of the relevant working program).
- The funds can be used for market research, technical validation, feasibility studies, clearing up issues of intellectual property, analysis of business opportunities, or preparation of a business plan
- Budget and term: 150,000 euros maximum for a period of up to 18 months
- Research topic: open to all fields of research
- Funding: 100% of direct project costs plus 25% overhead for indirect costs
- The application must comprise a maximum of seven pages, on which the idea, the innovation strategy, a plan of activities, and a budget calculation must be stated; important: the relationship with the ERC project must be explained
- The higher education institution submits the application.
- Eligible applicants are notified of the deadlines.
Further information on this program: ERC Proof of Concept