|Number of Places||20|
90 minutes / appointments for seminar groups by arrangement
Advanced Linguistics students
Solid research knowledge using Primo, KOBV, ZDB
This training is specially coordinated to research according to linguistic subject information and is aimed at advanced students who are preparing for their final papers (Bachelor or Masters).
Participants will become familiar with various databases (MLA, Bibliography of Linguistic Literature, Linguistics Abstracts Online) and get to know various options for theme-based searches.
In addition to a theoretical introduction the training also has a practical component: In small groups the participants will establish how the selected databases work on their own at their own computers based on given tasks. The results will then be presented to the plenum.
The focus of the event is on factual search; basic research knowledge according to known titles and/or various procurement methods (library, interlibrary, e-media) is expected.
The focus will be on the following questions:
- How do I find suitable search terms?
- How can I profit from using a thesaurus when doing research?
- Which databases / search portals are relevant for linguistics?
- What do I need to know about a database in order to use it optimally for a search?
- How can I assess or modify search results if need be?
- What options does a database give me to export and process the found results?