A valid library card is required to request and borrow books. It is also required to log-in to the internet computers at the library (see also Logging in, Library Account).
Who can apply for a library card?
- The valid student card is also the user card for students enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Students at Berlin's universities (student card must be presented)
- Adult residents
- Berlin or Brandenburg who present their identification card or passport with verification of their place of residence.
- Adolescents: residents of Berlin or Brandenburg who are 16 years of age or older with declaration of consent from parents
- Non-residents of Berlin or Brandenburg can apply for a temporary guest card that allows them to use digital resources in the reading hall and borrow from the stack collections in the reading hall. (Passport must be presented)
- Research associates who are verified guests of Freie Universität receive a library card for FU employees
When are cards issued?
- Mon.-Fri. from 9:00 am – 8:00 pm at the Philological Library and the University Library.
- Please note the different service hours at the other academic libraries.
Forgot your password? Change your password
FU students can only change the password via the ZEDAT portal.
Holders of a library card should please contact the circulation desk. A forgotten password will be replaced by a new password after presentation of personal identification or passport. This new temporary password must be changed immediately.