The apprentices at Freie Universität Berlin have had elected representatives since 2005. They are re-elected every two years. Currently the group of elected representatives (JAV) consists of 5 members and 4 substitutes.
The remit of the JAV includes the following activities:
- Participation in hiring processes, contract extensions, and termination
- Checking compliance with existing laws and contracts regarding apprencticeships
- Absolute confidentiality in all matters
- Holding regular JAV meetings and at least one meeting for all the apprentices annually
- Participation / involvement in changes affecting apprenticeships at Freie Universität