If a publication is not held at any of the FU libraries you can request it as an interlibrary loan. This service requires a valid FU student card or an FU library card. Interlibrary loans are processed through the Berlin-Brandenburg library network KOBV.
An interlibrary-loan link is placed at the bottom of search-result pages on the library portal Primo.
- Interlibrary loans are free for FU staff.
- FU students and other registered library users are charged €1.50 per volume or article successfully delivered.
- Additional fees may apply in certain cases to cover photocopying of very long articles, insurance for rare books, or transport from abroad.
How to request and receive a publication through interlibrary loan:
- Make sure that the publication is not held at any of the FU libraries by searching it on the library portal Primo.
- Click on the link "Search in German libraries (interlibrary loan)" at the bottom of the search-result page to continue your search with the KOBV search engine (Fernleihindex).
- From the results displayed select the item(s) you wish to order. (For journals click on "ZDB Treffer.").
- Click on the button "Fernleihe" (= interlibrary loan).
- Select "FU Berlin" from the "Heimatbibliothek" pick list. Enter your login (the same as for Primo).
- Complete the form where necessary (e.g., title of journal article).
- Click on "Bestellen" (= order).
- Items delivered can be picked up at the UB circulation desk – or at the UB reading room, if they may not be taken out.
- Your user account in Primo will show the interlibrary loans you have requested or have out on loan.
Using this online form, you can suggest a publication to be purchased by the library – particularly if the publication you need is recent. Suggestions can be addressed to the University Library or to a department library. A reply will be given by e-mail. If the publication is purchased, it can be delivered directly to the circulation desk or to the reading room, according to your request.