Candidates may apply if they are a member of one of the doctoral programs of Dahlem Research School and
- they have submitted their dissertation
- the date of the defense lies within 12 months of the application deadline (if the dissertation has already been defended)
- they completed their doctoral studies within 3.5 years (time between begin of studies and submission of dissertation). In exceptional circumstances a duration of up to 4.5 years may be accepted.
- they have developed and propose an interdisciplinary and innovative research project
- they are supported by a professor of Freie Universität Berlin who provides a letter of recommendation with an evaluation on the candidate’s proposed HONORS project and confirmation that he/she agrees to act as scientific advisor during the time of the fellowship
- their PhD supervisor provides a reference letter in which the quality of the dissertation is evaluated.
(In the case that the PhD supervisor will act as the future academic advisor, only one letter of recommendation with all the aspects mentioned above is needed.)
In order to strengthen the academic networks of Freie Universität Berlin, collaborative research projects with existing or potential partner institutions are highly welcome.