Enrollment in PhD and doctoral programs (Promotion)
Enrollment into a PhD/doctoral program is possible online within one month after the admission to the doctoral program has been issued. Subsequently, the following documents must be submitted by postal mail:
- A printout of your completed Enrollment Application, if you are not yet enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin
Application to Change Programs, if you are already enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin and wish to change programs (points 4, 5, 6 and 7 do not apply).
- A copy of the current admissions notice (issued by the doctoral committee of the department).
- Members of DRS Programs only: confirmation of membership in a doctoral program of Dahlem Research School (DRS) issued by your program coordinators. For contact details see: DRS doctoral programs.
- A copy of your earlier degrees or certificates, along with an official translation if your degrees or certificates were issued in any language other than German or English.
- A copy of a valid form of identification (e. g., passport or ID) verifying your complete surname, first name, date of birth, address and expiration date.
You are permitted to black out sections that are irrelevant to the proof of your identity. The copy´s sole purpose is to verify your identity and to protect you from potential identity theft. Once your enrollment is completed this copy is immediately destroyed.
- If applicable, copy of your certificate of withdrawal from the student register (Exmatrikulationsbescheinigung) from your most recently attended German university.
- A copy of your bank statement or transfer voucher verifying the payment of semester fees and contributions as well as the costs of your transportation pass (Semesterticket) payable to Freie Universität Berlin, DEUTSCHE BANK PGK AG, IBAN: DE45100708480513128908, BIC: DEUTDEDB110, Intended purpose for Doctoral Program (PhD): application number plus BW following directly after the number, (e.g. 700000BW); (see also Enrollment Application and Fees and Contributions). If you are transferring funds from abroad please be sure to transfer the applicable bank fees as well.
- If you do not wish to use a transportation pass (Semesterticket), you can request an exemption in advance at the Student Records and Registration Office for one semester, several semesters or your entire period of study at Freie Universitaet Berlin. Exemptions can only be granted before semester contributions (Semesterbeitrag) have been remitted. Please enclose your request for exemption from the transportation pass (Semesterticket) including the wished duration of exemption with your enrollment application. No particular form is required for this request. Your payment will then be adjusted to exclude the contribution for the Semesterticket transportation pass (see “Fees and Contributions”).
Once all requirements are met, including full payment confirmation of all applicable fees and contributions to the Freie Universität Berlin, your enrollment will be finalized.