Other Organizations offering Advising and Counseling
For many students, enrolling at a university marks the start of a new stage in their lives, and one that requires a different way of organizing their everyday lives and brings new issues and challenges with it. Freie Universität Berlin supports its students by offering a number of places to turn for advice and information.
- The departmental advising services of Freie Universität Berlin are available to students for all department-specific issues and questions arising when starting or during a study program.
- The Student Records and Registration Office is responsible for handling questions regarding enrollment, re-registering for subsequent semesters, leave of absence, and removal from the register of students.
- The Dahlem School of Education (DSE) provides information and advising services to students in teaching credential (Lehramt) programs (in German).
- The Family Support Center functions as the central point of contact and coordination at Freie Universität Berlin for all issues centering on the family. These include studying with children; compatibility of work, studies, and family life; and caring for family members.
- Students with disabilities and chronically ill students can turn to various points of contact at Freie Universität for information and advice.
- The Career Service helps students find internship positions and prepare applications and provides assistance to help students get off to a successful start in their chosen careers (in German).
- The University Team of the South Berlin Employment Agency provides advice on questions regarding fields of activity, labor market requirements, career prospects, starting a career following the exam, internships while enrolled in an academic program, and alternatives for students and those who withdraw from their programs.
- With its “Welcome to Freie Universität Berlin” program, Freie Universität offers qualified prospective students who have had to leave their homeland an opportunity to attend selected courses and participate in selected additional offerings free of charge starting in the 2015/2016 winter semester, thereby preparing to start a degree program.
- The "ISFU - International Students at Freie Universität" project operated by the Center for Academic Advising and Psychological Counseling at Freie Universität Berlin offers advice and support geared specifically to the needs of international students.
- The Student Body Council (Allgemeine Studenten/innen-Ausschuss, AStA, site in German) of Freie Universität Berlin offers various services, from social advice to special office hours dispensing advice to groups such as students with disabilities and international students, along with answering questions regarding student aid (BAföG).
- The Margherita von Brentano Center for Gender Studies (in German) advocates the institutionalization and permanent inter- and transdisciplinary entrenchment of women’s and gender studies at Freie Universität Berlin. Furthermore the center offers modules and counseling in the context of General Professional Skills Courses (ABV) - Gender and diversity awareness. Every semester the center publishes a lecture catalog that combines several lectures in Gender, Diversity and Queer Studies.
The Statistical Consulting Unit fu:stat offers guidance in statistical questions for students at the Freie Universität Berlin during their Bachelor-/Master-/ or Doctoral Thesis. Online registration for statistical consulting.
- There are many ways to get to know Freie Universität: informational events, Open Lecture Halls (Offener Hörsaal) events, the Children’s University (Kinderuni), etc (in German).
- Prospective students living abroad can also contact one of the liaison offices of Freie Universität Berlin for information.