Information on Lending Services
Update from May 28, 2021: The libraries at Freie Universität Berlin will resume lending services for members of Freie Universität. External users also have the opportunity to lend media at some library locations! You have to wear a FFP2 mask when you enter the library.
News from Apr 01, 2021
Currently, the following libraries are open for ordering, checking out, and returning library items with little physical contact:
|University Library||Also open for external users|
|Botanic Garden/Botanical Museum (BGBM)
||Special regulations apply to this library location|
|Campus Library||Open for FU members|
|Economics||Also open for external users|
|Friedrich Meinecke Institute/Art History Institute (FMI / KHI)
(closed from May 27th to 28th)
|Open for FU members|
|Also open for external users|
|Philological Library||Open for FU members|
|Social Sciences and East European Studies
Also open for external users
|Theater Studies||Special regulations apply to this library location|
In preparation, the University Library and the departmental libraries have taken steps to comply with hygiene regulations, building access limits, visitor traffic paths, and measures to ensure a minimum distance between people.
Are all library services available for use?
- Lending services with little physical contact are only available to members of Freie Universität Berlin and/or external users (see above for more details).
- Other library services such as reading rooms, open stacks, copy machines, scanners, and PC work stations are still off limits at most library locations until June 3, 2021. Details can be found on the pages of the relevant libraries.
Due to the hygiene measures the Registration of Workspaces is prohibited until June 3, 2021! Please refer to our Library Guide Information Page.
What do I need to do to get the library item I need?
- All items must be ordered in advance using the Library Portal Primo. You will receive email notification when your items are ready for pick-up.
- Please wait until you have received the pick-up notification for your items before you come to the library!
- Different pick-up locations are available, except items from the Campus Library, JFKI Library and Philological Library.
- You have to wear a FFP2 mask when you enter the library.
- Please keep an appropriate distance between yourself and others. Only a limited number of people will be allowed to enter the library at a time.
- Please try to limit your time in the library as much as possible.
- Disinfectant will be provided.
What about library items that I have already checked out?
- The lending period for checked-out items has been automatically extended so that you do not need to return them right away now that the libraries are reopening (unless it has been requested by another user, see below).
- Before coming to the library please check your user account in the Library Portal Primo and verify the due dates for your items. If possible, go ahead and renew your items online.
- The maximum lending period for items has been extended to one year.
- You can still reserve items that are currently checked out by others. If someone reserves an item that you have checked out, you must return it by the new due date.
How do I return library items?
- You can return library items at any of the library locations that are now open. Please use the book drops located at the libraries’ entrances.
- Returns by post are also possible.
What other services are the libraries at Freie Universität offering at the moment?
- The digitization services are expanded.
- You can find more information about the expanded services due to the coronavirus pandemic here.
Please check the opening hours of the individual libraries.
If you have questions, please contact:
Email: email@example.com, Telephone: (030) 838-511 11 (Information Center)
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Circulation)