Information on Lending Services Reopening as of May 11, 2020
Update from June 29, 2020: These libraries at Freie Freie Universität Berlin are resuming lending services as of May 11, 2020 for members of Freie Universität! Since June 16, 2020 external User also have the opportunity to lend media from the University Library.
News from Jun 29, 2020
Currently, the following libraries are open for ordering, checking out, and returning library items for members of Freie Universität:
- University Library (since June 16, 2020 also open for external users)
- Law Library
- Library of Economics
- Library of Social Sciences and East European Studies
- Library of the Friedrich Meinecke Institute
- Library of the Art History Institute
- Campus Library
- Earth Sciences Library (open Monday to Thursday)
- Philological Library
- Meteorological Library (open Wednesday and Thursday)
- Veterinary Library (open Monday, Wednesday and Friday)
- Library of the JFKI Institute for North American Studies (open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday)
Special regulations apply to other library locations:
- Library of the Institute of Theater Studies
Other libraries are scheduled to reopen in the near future.
In preparation, the University Library and the departmental libraries have taken steps to comply with hygiene regulations, building access limits, visitor traffic paths, and measures to ensure a minimum distance between people.
You can retrieve library items ready for pick-up at the appropriate location during the following times:
Monday - Friday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Are all library services available for use?
- Libraries are only providing lending services that can be offered with little physical contact.
- Lending services with little physical contact are only available to members of Freie Universität Berlin.
- Other library services such as reading rooms, open stacks, copy machines, scanners, and PC work stations are still off limits for the time being.
- Public restrooms are also closed.
What do I need to do to get the library item I need?
- All items must be ordered in advance using the Library Portal Primo. You will receive email notification when your items are ready for pick-up.
- Please wait until you have received the pick-up notification for your items before you come to the library!
- You can only pick up an item at the library where it is held. Other pick-up locations are not available.
- Please wear a protective mask when you enter the library.
- Please keep an appropriate distance between yourself and others. Only a limited number of people will be allowed to enter the library at a time.
- Please try to limit your time in the library as much as possible.
- Disinfectant will be provided.
What about library items that I have already checked out?
- The lending period for checked-out items has been automatically extended so that you do not need to return them right away now that the libraries are reopening (unless it has been requested by another user, see below).
- Before coming to the library please check your user account in the Library Portal Primo and verify the due dates for your items. If possible, go ahead and renew your items online.
- The maximum lending period for items has been extended to one year.
- You can still reserve items that are currently checked out by others. If someone reserves an item that you have checked out, you must return it by the new due date.
How do I return library items?
- You can return library items at any of the library locations that are now open. Please use the book drops located at the libraries’ entrances.
What other services are the libraries at Freie Universität offering at the moment?
- The libraries’ expanded digitization services are still available.
- You can find more information about the expanded services due to the coronavirus pandemic here.
Please check the opening hours of the individual libraries.
If you have questions, please contact:
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Information Center)
Email: email@example.com (Circulation)