Introduction of New Library Mangement System (Alma)
On this page, you will find information concerning the introduction of a new library management system (Alma) at Freie Universität Berlin, which will go productive on 4 January 2017.
Please note that some service modalities will change with the transition.ATTENTION: Inter library loan requests can be placed again as of 16 January 2017.
Important Changes in Service Modalities as of January 2017
Alma is a cloud-based library management software designed to perform all library tasks – from acquisition to cataloguing and to managing loans. Alma is the successor to the well-established software Aleph.
The new software, Alma, promises ideal support for changed routines with printed as well as electronic media, better possibilities to observe how library services are being used (analytics) and reduction of the volume of technical maintenance operations.
Alma opens prospects of closer cooperation with other libraries in a shared Alma network zone.
The Humboldt-Universität, Technische Universität and Universität der Künste libraries are also switching to Alma with the turn of the year.
Our users' person-related data must be protected. Therefore, both the data protection officials at the Berlin Universities and the Data Protection Officer to the State of Berlin have been involved in the contractual agreements with the software company.
The hard- and software platform where the person-related data relevant to data-protection legal regulations are stored and processed is located in Amsterdam and, consequently, within the European legal space.
Except for third dunning notices, all notifications issued through the library management system will be sent to you as e-mails only. You will receive more e-mails than before the change and will be immediately informed about all activities concerning your library account.
In addition to the e-mail you have been receiving a few days before the end of the loan period, we will remind you again on the very last day.
For Freie Universität students, only the official FU Account e-mail adresses will be accepted.
Options in the ZEDAT-Portal settings can be used to redirect e-mails to other adresses if desired.
Login With FU Account Only
FU students will log in to the library portal Primo and to the thin clients in Freie Universität Berlin libraries with their FU account / ZEDAT account.
For self-checkout machines, please use the bar code on your student card. As of January, your password will be replaced by a PIN, initially identical with the postal code in your living address as filed in the student identity system.
For Freie Universität students, only official FU Account e-mail addresses will be accepted (compare e-mail notifications). Options in the ZEDAT-Portal settings can be used to redirect e-mails to other adresses if desired.
Changes of passwords and of addresses also have to be managed through ZEDAT-Portal.
With the new system, it will be possible for users to pay fees in cash at the Circulation Desk at any library (except at the Meteorology Library) no matter at which library they were triggered.
The pay machines, where fees can be paid using bank cards need an update and are not yet working.
Fees to all Freie Universität libraries can also be transferred to the following bank account; please note, however, that transactions can take several days to be completed:
Berliner Bank, Niederlassung der Deutschen Bank
IBAN: DE67 1007 0848 051 3128 900
Swift Code (BIC): DEUTDEDB110
Reason for payment: 011/58
User number (absolutely necessary)
When outstanding fees and fines reach 10 Euros, user accounts will be blocked.
In the transition to the new library management system (Alma), the Freie Universität Berlin libraries have harmonized their service and loan modalities.
Summary of Service and Loan Modalities as of 4 January 2017
- Freie Universität Berlin students log in to the library portal Primo and to thin clients at the Freie Universität libraries with their FU Account / ZEDAT Account.
- For Freie Universität students, only official FU Account e-mail addresses will be accepted.
- All notifications issued through the library management system (except for third dunning notices) will be sent out as e-mails only.
- Over-due notices will be sent out immediately after the end of the loan period.
- The loan period for items from textbook collections is two weeks at all Freie Universität libraries. Hold requests will be possible if all copies of a work are taken out. Extensions will be possible, unless there are hold requests.
- The maximum number of simultaneous loans per library has also been unified.
- Fees and fines can be paid at any library (except at the Meteorology Library) no matter at which library they were triggered.
- When outstanding fees and fines reach 10 Euros, user accounts will be blocked.
We regret the inconveniences caused by the transition.