In order to inform university staff and students, as well as any interested members of the public, we have made the profiles of the large university buildings available on this web page. These include, amongst other aspects, the development of energy consumption and current annual energy costs of each building. If you have any further questions about the building profiles then please contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Construction of the university building located at Arnimallee 14 was completed in 1983 and is one of the most energy intensive buildings at Freie Universität. A range of energy saving measures have been carried out since 2006, including the modernization of the heating system and various ventilation systems, the renovation of the air conditioning system, and the distribution and installation of an online energy monitoring system. Arnimallee 14 was the first building at Freie Universität to be fitted with a photovoltaic system in 2008. This produces around 140,000 kWh of solar electricity and therefore meets the requirements of approximately 30 four-person households.
The Arnimallee 3 / 5 / 7 building complex was completed in 1969-1970. The various buildings in this complex were originally built to house the theoretical physics and genetics departments but are now used almost solely by the mathematics and computer science departments. In 2003-04, the heating system was modernised, the windows replaced, and part of the building façade was renovated. The photovoltaic system on the roof produces around 26,000 kWh of renewable electricity annually, equating to about 10 % of the entire building requirements.
Since 1982 Fabeckstr. 32 has served as Freie Universität's main centre for data processing (ZEDAT). Previously containing chemistry laboratories, the building today houses the university’s computing centre. In 2010-11, the façade, windows, and roof, as well as the energy supply and cooling systems in the server room, were comprehensively renovated and a solar unit was installed on the roof. The increased energy and cooling supplies, as well as the intended centralisation of the IT services in ZEDAT explain the rapid increase in energy consumption in the data processing centre over the last few years.
The inorganic chemistry institute (Fabeckstr. 34-36), which was constructed in 1960-63, was the first new building built to house the mathematics and science faculties. Due to the age of the building itself, and thus the age of its technical facilities, this is one of the most energy intensive university institutes (with correspondingly high energy costs). Amongst other measures, the replacement of cooling systems has reduced the building’s water usage by around 75 % in comparison to 2004.
Garystraße 39 was built at the same time as the Henry Ford building, between 1952 and 1954, and has since housed Freie Universität’s university library. Energy requirements here have been reduced significantly since 2010, thanks to, amongst other measures, the relocation of the IT server to the modernized and therefore more energy efficient ZEDAT computer centre.
The building complex located at Grunewaldstr. 35 originally served as administration building for the Deutsche Gemeinschaft zur Erhaltung und Förderung der Forschung (German Association for Preserving and Promoting Research) but was altered in 1938–40 and then served as a centre for the preservation and promotion of research. A new extension was added in 1956. The building was leased by Freie Universität in 1958 and purchased in 1973. Today, the Institute of Theatre Studies is one of the main departments located here. During the course of renovation work in 2004, the outdated heating system was modernized and converted from oil to natural gas, thus achieving annual reductions in environmentally damaging CO2 emissions by around 125 t/year.
The so-called “Rostlaube” was built between 1967 and 1973 and serves, together with the “Silberlaube”, as the central lecture and seminar room complex at Freie Universität. As a result of extensive renovation work (1999-2007), the building’s heating requirements were reduced by over 26 % in comparison to the year 2000. A 97 kW photovoltaic system on the roof produces just under 87,000 kWh of electricity annually. Around one third of this system was funded by the student project UniSolar.
Built in 1963 – 1968, this building was initially used solely by the department of veterinary medicine. The history and cultural studies departments moved in after extensive renovation work in the 1990s. The modernization of the heating system and insulation of the roof, renewal of the ventilation system and the university’s internal energy saver incentive scheme have resulted in the reduction of the building’s annual heating requirements by over 40 % between 2001 and 2012. In 2012, a photovoltaic system (93 kWp) was installed on the roof and covers around 10 % of the building’s total electricity requirements.
Königin-Luise-Straße 12-16 was built in 1962-70, designed by the architect Wassili Luckhardt, and has since been used as a research and teaching facility for the plant physiology department. In 2004–05, the heating system was technically optimised, and the ventilation system was partially renewed in 2007-08. Energy consumption from 2008–2012 was influenced by various building measures. A preliminary study is currently being carried out regarding an extensive energy upgrade on this listed building.
What is today the Institute of Pharmacy, located at Königin-Luise-Str. 2/4, was built between 1960 and 1966 on the site of the former Friedrich Wilhelms University, replacing a building partially destroyed during World War II. The building was completely renovated at the end of the 1990s and the technical systems were renewed, thus reducing, amongst other things, the heating requirements of the property by 50 %. Thanks to a range of measures, water requirements have also been reduced from just under 6,000 m3 (2004-2006) to the current level of around 3,500 m3 per year.
Rüdesheimer Straße 54-56 was built in 1929-30 and served as an administration building for the Reich’s miners’ guild – the former social insurance carrier for employees of the mining industry. It subsequently housed various institutions, before being passed over to Freie Universität in 1978. Extensive modernisations of the heating system in 2004 reduced the building’s heating requirements by around 40 %. This, combined with other measures, e.g. optimisation of the IT system, resulted in an almost 35 % reduction in energy-related CO2 emissions in 2012 in comparison to 2002.
Takustraße 3 was built in 1975-78 and houses the organic and physical chemistry departments. This is one of the Freie Universität’s most energy intensive buildings, in terms of water and heat requirements: around 1/12 of the university’s total energy costs can be traced back to this building. The modernisation of the heating and ventilation systems (e.g. installation of frequency converters), the introduction of online energy monitoring, and the energy saver incentive scheme 2007–2008, significantly reduced electricity and water usage.
Built on the site of a former vegetable garden belonging to the Technical University, the Institute of Computer Science (Takustraße 9) at Freie Universität Berlin was constructed in 1991-1993. Measures to improve energy efficiency carried out over the past few years included the optimisation of the server cooling system. Although the transferral of the servers away from decentralized areas and into the modernized data processing center actually increased electricity requirements, the energy requirements for IT infrastructure at Freie Universität in Berlin have, however, been optimised as a whole.
The main building of the law department (Van’t-Hoff-Str. 8), constructed between 1957 and 1959, was one of the first new buildings to be built at Freie Universität. The property’s heating requirements have been reduced by around 70 % since 2003 as a result of the optimisation of the heating system (2004–2005), extensive renovation work on the exterior building shell and on the library (2009–2010), as well as the implementation of the energy saver incentive scheme. The reduction in energy requirements has also resulted in a reduction in climate-damaging CO2 emissions of around 45 %, or 300 t/year (in comparison to 2003).