Rüdesheimer Straße 54-56 was built in 1929-30 and served as an administration building for the Reich’s miners’ guild – the former social insurance carrier for employees of the mining industry. It subsequently housed various institutions, before being passed over to Freie Universität in 1978. Extensive modernisations of the heating system in 2004 reduced the building’s heating requirements by around 40 %. This, combined with other measures, e.g. optimisation of the IT system, resulted in an almost 35 % reduction in energy-related CO2 emissions in 2012 in comparison to 2002.