The building complex located at Grunewaldstr. 35 originally served as administration building for the Deutsche Gemeinschaft zur Erhaltung und Förderung der Forschung (German Association for Preserving and Promoting Research) but was altered in 1938–40 and then served as a centre for the preservation and promotion of research. A new extension was added in 1956. The building was leased by Freie Universität in 1958 and purchased in 1973. Today, the Institute of Theatre Studies is one of the main departments located here. During the course of renovation work in 2004, the outdated heating system was modernized and converted from oil to natural gas, thus achieving annual reductions in environmentally damaging CO2 emissions by around 125 t/year.