Seventh Call for Applications is closed!
FUBright Mobility Allowances for Conference Trips
Within FUBright for International Doctoral Candidates - a project promoted by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) - Dahlem Research School offers mobility allowances for conference trips abroad that fall into the period 1 February − 30 June 2019.
Please find all details below.
The FUBright Mobility Allowance aims at supporting international doctoral candidates of Freie Universität Berlin who are planning to participate actively in a conference abroad within the context of their dissertation project.
Eligible are all international doctoral candidates of Freie Universität Berlin - independent of their research field - who do not receive mobility funding for this purpose from elsewhere. The candidates must be enrolled at the Freie Universität Berlin as doctoral students and have a non-German citizenship.
- be enrolled as a doctoral candidates at Freie Universität Berlin.
- be at the earliest in the second, at the latest in the eighth semester of their dissertation project.
- provide an official confirmation of the conference participation by the organizer. The confirmation of participantion can be submitted after the appilcation deadline, but prior to receiving the travel allowance.
- not be a member of a third-party funded research project (e.g. Research Training Group, Graduate School, Collaborative Research Center, DFG Research Unit, etc.)
- not be a grantee of a funding organization which provides travel grants.
- not have received a FUBright Mobility Allowance for a conderence trip for the same calendar year.
The conference trip must
- contribute to the dissertation project.
- include an active participation of the doctoral candidate in the conference, e.g. a presentation or poster presentation.
- take place and be completed within the period 1 February - 30 June 2019.
- not exceed 5 days.
- not take place in the applicant’s home country.
- not take place in a country for which the German Federal Foreign Office has issued travel warnings.
- not be contrary to regulations in the applicant’s employment contract.
- not contradict regulations of organizations that fund the applicant.
Scope of Funding
The number of FUBright Mobility Allowances for conference trips that may be granted in 2019 depends on the availability of funds.
The allowances consist of travel and subsistence lump sums. They are calculated according to the rules of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). The amount of both depends on the target country and the duration of the stay (see tables for DAAD travel lump sums (max. 5 days) and DAAD subsistence lump sums).
To apply for a FUBright Mobility Allowance please use following application platform:
Please understand that we will only process applications submitted through this tool. Applications by email or post can not be considered.
Following attachments will be requested in order to submit your application:
- CV (max. two pages): please include your postal address and (if applicable) mention the organization who funds your dissertation project (e.g. DAAD, CSC, etc)
- Abstract of your doctoral thesis (max. one page), including a convincing statement why the planned conference participation is reasonable/necessary within your dissertation project at the envisioned point in time. The statement must be signed by your supervisor at Freie Universität Berlin.
- Copy of the official confirmation of conference participation by the organizing institution including the title of the conference contribution. The confirmation can be submitted after the deadline of this call.
- Copy of enrollment certificate by Freie Universität Berlin (Immatrikulationsbescheinigung)
- Copy of the letter of acceptance by your department at Freie Universität Berlin (Zulassung)
- In case the candidate receives funding from a third organization, a confirmation by the funding organization is required that the applicant cannot apply for travel grants, as double funding is not permitted.
Applicants are not entitled to the FUBright Mobility Allowances; funding is contingent upon acceptance by Dahlem Research School.
Money paid or overpaid beforehand must be paid back by the applicant without delay in the following cases:
The conference trip is cancelled or the duration of the stay is shortened.
The applicant is found to be in breach of any of the requirements set for the FUBright – Mobility Allowance.
Applicants will be ranked on the basis of the extent to which they meet the following criteria:
- formal requirements
- convincing statement why the planned conference participation is reasonable within the dissertation project
In case several applicants are ranked equally, lots will be drawn to select the candidates.
Please send your application dossier through the platform https://apply.drs.fu-berlin.de/fubrightmobility/ until 27 January 2019, 24 p.m.
Incomplete applications or applications that do not meet the deadline will not be considered.
FUBright for International Doctoral Candidates is promoted by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and funded by the Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF).