Dates, Deadlines, Advising
At the moment, no in-person office hours will be held as a protective measure against the spread of the coronavirus. However, Freie Universität Berlin’s offices and staff are still here for you. You can reach them by phone or email. Please check your department’s website for details.
For the moment, it is not possible to view your personal record. Given the circumstances, the three-month period reserved for contesting grades will not begin until regular educational operations at the university resume, so that you do not face any negative consequences.
The summer semester will be an academic semester, in which courses are offered as best as possible. Credits completed will count toward degree requirements. The summer semester will not count negatively toward a student’s time to degree in their program. If students are not able to take all the courses or exams they had scheduled for the summer semester, that will not count against them regarding the standard time to degree.
The universities are taking precautions to ensure that regularly occurring important dates and deadlines will automatically be postponed for upcoming semesters. For technical reasons, the semester might appear to be calculated into a student’s transcript; however, in the end the 2020 summer semester will not factor into the total number of semesters for a student’s time to degree.
The previous February 15 deadline has been extended as a one-time exception. You must provide your bachelor’s degree certificate by the time you renew your registration for the winter semester 2020/2021 at the latest.
Students who enrolled in a master’s degree program starting summer semester 2020 with a “two-thirds certificate” must submit their bachelor’s degree certificate when they renew their registration for the summer semester 2021 at the latest.
Application dates for the upcoming winter semester have changed:
- Applications for Bachelor’s degree programs with Numerus Clausus (NC) must be submitted between July 1, 2020, and August 20, 2020
- Applications for Bachelor’s degree programs without Numerus Clausus (NC) must be submitted between July 1, 2020, and September 7, 2020 (unchanged)
- Applications for state examination degree programs in pharmacy and veterinary medicine must be submitted between July 1, 2020, and July 31, 2020 for so-called “Alt-Abiturienten” (old graduates); between July 1, 2020, and August 20, 2020, for “Neu-Abiturienten” (new graduates)
- Applications for state examination degree programs in law must be submitted between July 1, 2020, and August 20, 2020
- Applications for consecutive Master’s programs with Numerus Clausus (NC) must be submitted by June 30, 2020, for all applicant groups
- Applications for consecutive Master’s programs without Numerus Clausus (NC) by August 15, 2020, for all applicant groups
The “two-thirds certificate” for Master’s degree applicants can be submitted without a signature from the examinations office.
Please refer to the information provided on the Admissions Office website.
The upcoming winter semester officially starts on October 1, 2020 and goes until March 3, 2021. The first day of classes is scheduled for November 2. The lecture period will end on February 27, 2021. Currently, the plan is to return to the regular semester rhythm starting summer semester 2021 with the lecture period also back to its normal length.