Application procedure (FUB-CSC PhD Program), Required Documents
The application and evaluation process for CSC candidates is coordinated by the Beijing Office of Freie Universität Berlin. All inquiries concerning the FUB-CSC Program and open positions should be sent in the first process only to FUB-Beijing Office (not to the professor!) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
In order to become a PhD student at Freie Universität Berlin in the framework of the FUB-CSC PhD Program two applications are necessary:
Apply to Beijing Office for one of the PhD positions offered by a professor of FUB.
[Please note! Apply only for a research project if your academic background meets the description of the offer!]
The application should be submitted ONLY by e-mail to email@example.com.
Application deadline for PhD Studies: January 4, 2019.
Beijing Office will check and evaluate the application and forward ALL applications to the respective professor. The professor will contact the candidates who submitted a complete application. After interviewed by the professor who offered the position, the final decision about the acceptance is made by the professors of Freie Universität according to the academic qualification. We inform the applicants at latest mid of February about the decision.
[Please note: Be patient and don’t contact the professor before the decision is made!]
In case the professor accepts the PhD candidate, he/she contacts the PhD candidate to discuss the research proposal which is required for the second application process - the CSC application.
Only Freie Universität Berlin can issue the invitation letter for the accepted PhD candidates in the framework of the FUB-CSC PhD Program. The invitation letter is a prerequisite for the application to a CSC scholarship and will be passed to the students by the FUB-Beijing Office end of February, 2019.
- All accepted PhD candidates who submitted their complete application to the FUB-Beijing Office and were accepted by a professor will be listed on the official nomination list of the FUB-CSC Program which will be handed to the CSC by the FUB-Beijing Office.
List of documents Freie Universität Berlin requires from applicants:
- Application Documents Required for Scholarship Scheme 1 (Full-Time PhD, degree from FUB)
- Application Documents Required for Scholarship Scheme 2 (Sandwich-Model, research stay, 1-2 years)
- This is a separate application process which is to be arranged by the CSC applicants. The application to the CSC is only handled by the CSC. In case you have questions concerning the CSC scholarship, please contact the CSC directly: www.csc.edu.cn
- Apply to the CSC online ONLY through the program channel under the framework of the FUB-CSC Program (otherwise, you are not a member of the program and cannot profit by its benefits).
- The invitation letter issued by Freie Universität Berlin (See above, No. 1) is required for the scholarship application in the framework of the FUB-CSC PhD Program.
- For the exact application period of CSC scholarships (usually: March 20 – April 5), please refer to the CSC homepage: http://www.csc.edu.cn/chuguo
- The results of the CSC will be announced at the beginning of June 2019.
- Successful scholarship holders start their research stay in Berlin in October 2019. In case you don't have any German language skills, you have to participate in a German Languages Course in China, offered by the CSC in Summer 2019.