PhD Study in Research Project: “East Asian Impacts on the Globalization of Knowledge: Marine Resources during the Cold War”
News from Feb 23, 2015
Position as Doctoral Researcher/Research Associate at Freie Universität Berlin
Research Project: “East Asian Impacts on the Globalization of Knowledge: Marine Resources during the Cold War”
Project Leader: Prof. Dr. Nadin Heé
We are offering a fixed-term contract (50%, pay grade 13 TV-L FU) for 36 months, starting as soon as possible, for the research project “East Asian Impacts on the Globalization of Knowledge: Marine Resources during the Cold War”.
The project seeks to contribute to the newly emerging field of global history of knowledge, which postulates a shift away from a one-sided diffusion model with Europe or the US as center. The aim is to develop a non-eurocentric perspective on the globalization of knowledge about marine resources during the Cold War. The project asks to what extent knowledge from the region of East Asia influenced this process of globalization and whether multilateral transfers and circulations were important.
Your duties would involve:
- Writing a PhD Thesis on a topic closely related to the project “East Asian Impacts on the Globalization of Knowledge: Marine Resources during the Cold War”
- Independent research, including investigations into Asian archives
- Public presentations of research findings at conferences and workshops
- Discussion of findings and methodological approaches within the research group Requirements:
- You should already have completed your MA-studies in history, area studies or a closely related subject
- Excellent reading skills in one of the regional languages required for archival research (Chinese, Korean or Japanese)
- Proficiency in English
- Prior knowledge of the subject matter is welcome
- You will be expected to write a PhD thesis on a topic closely related to the project under the supervision of Prof. Dr. Nadin Heé, the project leader
Applications must include a CV, a letter of motivation, proof of language skills (e.g. certificates), a copy of the MA diploma (alternatively a letter from your supervisor confirming that you have submitted your thesis including a short assessment of its quality), and a PDF-version of the MAthesis. With the exception of the MA-thesis, all documents must be combined into a single PDFdocument. All application documents must be sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org by 2015-3-30. We do not accept applications sent via postal mail. We accept applications in English and German. Questions about the position and the application process should be directed to email@example.com.