Internships as a Recruiting Tool
For Businesses, internships are an outstanding opportunity for accessing and promoting qualified young talents early on. Often, students bring forward innovative ideas and give fresh impetus for established workflows. With sensible placement and good supervision, interns strengthen a business’s workforce in daily operations or specific projects.
Focus on Learning
Internships make an important contribution to students’ professional orientation and qualification. Internships should therefore focus on the aim of training and educating students. Good training and familiarization, guidance, and supervision are a matter of course, and all are part of a specialized internship.
Internship Information for Businesses
Hiring interns ties up business resources and must be prepared in terms of organization, legal requirements and insurance. For businesses with little or no experience in hiring interns, we have compiled several links providing information (in German) on advantages and disadvantages as well as on the legal framework:
- A guideline by the IHK (Chamber of Industry and Commerce) informs on organization and practice regarding internships in companies.
- The IHK Berlin also provides information on the statutory regulations pertaining to the minimum wage for internships, which apply since January 1, 2015.
- The German Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs has also compiled facts and figures on the minimum wage in a little brochure (PDF).
- The brochure “Praktika – Nutzen für Praktikanten und Unternehmen” (Internships – Benefits for Interns and Businesses) by the Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs provides a detailed overview on rights and obligations of companies and interns.
- Employers wishing to hire international students as interns may inquire with the International Placement Services (Zentrale Auslands- und Fachvermittlung – ZAV). A detailed instruction sheet informs on rights and obligations in relation to employing international interns within the scope of study-related internships.
Framework Conditions for Study-Related Internships
Specialized internships during university studies are given a high priority in the academic education at Freie Universität Berlin. Bachelor’s programs include obligatory internships, which are integrated into the course of study.
Have a look at our information in German on: