Interlibrary Loan and Purchase Suggestions
If a book, journal, or journal article is not available through the catalog or through Primo, you can try to obtain it by interlibrary loan from another library in Berlin, Germany, or outside Germany. Interlibrary loans are delivered to the University Library.
To place an interlibrary-loan request, you need a valid library card.
- Search the title you need within the Freie Universität Berlin holdings.
- If you get no results that match your title, click on the link "Weitersuchen im KOBV? Fernleihe."
- If you find the right title on the KOBV result list, select the respective hit. If you want to request journal articles, please always make sure you select the Zeitschriftendatenbank (ZDB) hits from the result list. Click on the interlibrary-loan button in order to place the request. Complete the form. Please note that only one volume can be delivered per request; consequently, if you need more than one volume of one work, complete a new request for each volume you need.
- You will be notified by e-mail or letter when the requested item has been delivered and is ready for you to pick it up at the University Library Circulation Desk.
Alternative procedure for journals (both for whole volumes and for articles): Starting out from ZDB:
Another very easy way to obtain journal volumes and articles is to request them directly from ZDB (Zeitschriftendatenbank). In the record view for the desired title click on the request button. Select the KOBV delivery service. Continue in the same way as described above.
Costs for Interlibrary Loan Within Germany
- For Freie Universität Berlin members, interlibrary loan is free of charge.
- Freie Universität Berlin students pay € 1.50 for every successful job (per volume / per article) within the German system.
- External users pay a fee of € 1.50 Euro per request at the time of placing the request. This fee ist not returned if it turns out that the job cannot be successfully completed.
Please pay fees in cash at the University Library Circulation Desk.
Literature that is not held by the Freie Universität Berlin libraries can be either requested through interlibrary loan or suggested for acquisition.
In order to make a purchase suggestion, you need to log in first. In Primo, there is a link to the purchase-suggestion form under every result list. In order to use this form, you need a valid library card or student card as well as an e-mail address.
Please note that publications should not be suggested before they have come out. An additional copy of a work that is already available at the Freie Universität Berlin will be acquired only in exceptional, substantiated cases (for example, if there are several hold requests or if items are not accessible, "Keine Einsicht" etc.). Please note that, in the case of dated literature, acquisition can be impossible.
You will be informed by e-mail when a decision has been made whether to acqire the suggested work or not. When the desired work is acquired, it will automatically be delivered to the Circulation Desk for you to pick it up, unless the item is excluded from loan. In the latter case, you will be informed of the item's shelf number and location.
Members of the institutes please refer to the librarian in charge of your subject.